Over 70s and DVLA

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

YVONNERA
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Over 70s and DVLA

Postby YVONNERA » Tue 13 Sep 2022 4:19 pm

Hello my husband Paul 69 has had diagnosed KC for 50 years and must take his test for driving over 70 soon. The DVLA require an eye test but both GP surgery and Boots have said they cant do it . I dont drive so we need somewhere within a few miles where he can have the necessary test. Has anyone with KC done their over 70 test and what happened about your eye testing -where was it , who did it and did you pass? Thanks.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Over 70s and DVLA

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 16 Sep 2022 5:29 pm

I gave up driving a few years ago now, so didn't reply to this on the forum. But looking at the gov.uk website about driving licence requirements, I was very surprised to see there is now a huge list of eye conditions that have to be notified to DVLA and that includes keratoconus. I don't know when the change was made. For years our advice has been that people with KC don't need to notify DVLA as it was not on the list. That's clearly no longer the case. As far as I can see, the actual requirements in terms of vision haven't changed so this shouldn't make any difference to any of our members who don't have issues driving. But we will be trying to get more clarification from any friendly optometrists. And it's always been our advice that people should tell their insurers they have KC, otherwise they risk their cover being withdrawn if they're involved in an accident which may not have been their fault.

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Grant » Wed 21 Sep 2022 11:29 am

Anne Klepacz wrote:there is now a huge list of eye conditions that have to be notified to DVLA and that includes keratoconus.

Interesting, that was news to me too.

I've just completed the self-certification online, will post if there are any updates.

taylan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby taylan » Fri 21 Oct 2022 7:01 pm

Grant wrote:
Anne Klepacz wrote:there is now a huge list of eye conditions that have to be notified to DVLA and that includes keratoconus.

I've just completed the self-certification online, will post if there are any updates.

Any update about this?

taylan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby taylan » Fri 21 Oct 2022 9:13 pm

https://www.aop.org.uk/ot/professional- ... tions-list

There is also a comment "We are aware of that, but we understand there are plans to also update the Group 2 list as well. I'll double check when that will be." from AOP Clinical Director.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sat 22 Oct 2022 9:28 am

Thanks, Taylan, you beat me to it! Remarkably, the original changes were made seemingly without any consultation with optometrist or ophthalmologist professional bodies. So it looks as though questions from organisations like ours triggered AOP (the optometrists' professional body) to get involved. You'll see from Taylan's link that the list of conditions has been reduced, but although corneal graft has been removed, keratoconus is still there, although the AOP is saying they're still not happy with the list so there may be more developments. The corneal surgeon I contacted about this tells me ophthalmologists were also concerned by these changes and an advisory committee was due to meet this last week. I'll come back with any more news I get, but meantime, keep googling!

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby gsward » Sat 22 Oct 2022 9:44 am

Yes, they have created an interesting scenario now. If you previously had one of the listed conditions but have subsequently had a graft presumably you do not now need to report at all - but don't quote me!

DavidGable
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby DavidGable » Sun 23 Oct 2022 1:51 pm

Yes Graham, I'd like to know the answer to that question. Do I have keratoconus when I have had two grafts and my vision is corrected by spectacles?

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Grant » Fri 28 Oct 2022 1:10 pm

taylan wrote:
Grant wrote:

Any update about this?

I received a letter from the DVLA saying thanks for letting us know, nothing more to do.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”