Comfortable contact lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

sallynic

Comfortable contact lenses

Postby sallynic » Tue 20 Apr 2004 2:02 pm

Hi,

I was diagnosed with keratoconus 1 year ago and have been using rigid gas permeable lenses ever since. However, I hate wearing them because I still find them so uncomfortable.
I was thinking about switching to softperms because I heard they were more comfortable. Does anyone use softperms and are they really that much more comfortable? Also are there any other lenses out there that I should think about switching too that provides even more comfort than the softperms?

Thanks,
Sally.

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Comfortable contact lens

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 20 Apr 2004 5:16 pm

Hi

I wore RGP lenses for years, until I really couldn't bear to have them in my eyes any longer. I guess everybody with KC goes through that experience at one point or another.

They found that softlenses were no good for me as they were pushed out of shape by my cones and so would not provide the sort of correction I needed.

After a graft in my right eye, I now wear a scleral in my left. this is way more comfortable than RGP's, although I can't wear it for long as my eye becomes very tired (probably because my eyes are not quite a standard fit).

All the best with your hunt for comfortable lenses. Let us knowwhat you find.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Roman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Roman » Wed 21 Apr 2004 11:21 am

Hi Salynic,

I can comfirm that SoftPerms are definitely much more comfortable than most of RGPs and still can offer good vision acuity. As the downside I´d say long delivery period from most manufacturers and less gas permeability.

You shall also definitely take a look at Rose K lenses (custom made RGPs) which will fit exactly to your cornea surface.

The another good option are scleral lenses but some say they are hard to handle (I never had them)

Your problems may be caused also by not appropriate fit and it should be reviewed by lens fitter (also your cone could changed which can cause bigger discomfort).I also hated RGPs and never wore them for a long time. I´m glad to be back at glasses after my FR surgery.

Hope this help you somehow
Take Care

Roman

Sophie Bull
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Softperm lenses

Postby Sophie Bull » Wed 21 Apr 2004 2:12 pm

Hello,

Just a bit of advice on the softperm lenses...I was fitted with a softperm lens for my right eye about two (ish) years ago, it was mainly because the surface of my cornes was no longer stable enough for an RGP. I found the soft perm very much more comfortable, however in the last few weeks my right eye became intolerant to wearing the soft perm lens and I went to see a new consultant (as Im at university and its quite far from 'home' and my other consultant) he has been really helpful so far, one thing, which was new to me was that the softperm lenses are porbably a bad option for KC patients. The explaination is something like this but please check it out and dont just take my word for it....Because they fit so tightly they stop oxygen/bloodflow reaching the cornea so easily and as a result it is possible that blood vessels may develop on the cornea, which in the fullness of time may end up hindering any later attempt at a corneal graft.

My other bit of advice is that because they fit soo well if you wear them for a long time when you take them out your eyes can feel pretty sore. On one occasion I wasnt having the best of days, I had an early exam and on later returning home was feeling pretty ill so just went to sleep...to awake the next morning with the lens still in my eye...oh dear. I ended up giving myself a corneal ulcer, which is more than a little painful and no doubt has not helped my already pretty scarred cornea. I really was in a lot of pain as I had to wait some time for the hospital pharmacy to open in order to get the drops prescriped...my friends resorted to proping me up in a pub and delivering me drinks..hhhmmm maybe not the best approach but at the time it helped!

Other than this incident which is not advised they were very comfortable to wear, however I would investigate the blood vessel thing as my consultant is now tyring to get all his patients with soft perm lenses out of them. I think it is also only one company who make these lenses and they have still yet to be fully developed so there is very limited fitting options which isnt ideal.

I am now attempting to get to grips with wearing two lenses..a very thin soft lens with a hard lens on top, i am having some difficulty with air bubbles, ligt reflection etc.! BUt I am gettin gthere and apparently this is also sometimes used as a solution that can help make rigid lenses more comfortable at least untill you are more used to wearing them. I also have a Rose K2 lens fitted for my left eye and after geeting over a few days of initial discomfort most of the time this is really quite comfortable so maybe you could give it ago.

Hope this helps, sorry its a bit of a ramble-I think I am in essay writing mode...right back too it!

Sophie

Bob Somi
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Somi » Wed 21 Apr 2004 6:10 pm

Hi Sally.

I have been wearing Soft Perms for12 years - no problems. Lens hygine is an issue here, slightly more so than RGPs but use if two part peroxide systems solves the problem.

Only CIBA vison (under Weslley Jessen Label) make SoftPerm and the delivery is now good- roughly 7 to 10 days on avg. The range of powers avaibale has also been increased so its suitable for more users .

Fitting is now easier as you can get compatible flourecin dye -.

When fitted correctly it should move slighlty when you blink but centre it self. If it feels clamped to your eye the fitting is not right.

They last 2 years on avg if you keep them clean. Do try them ! - I spent 4 years with orinary RGP and my eyes could only tolerate them for 2 hours max.

Good Luck !

Anna Mason
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

I've tried most of them!!

Postby Anna Mason » Thu 22 Apr 2004 9:35 pm

OK so here is my succinct summary on the various lenses.

Corneal RGP's - comfortable initially but only go outside with sunglasses as they suck dust under like a magnet. I wore various types for umh er let me see now 25 years ish.

Rose K - for me only .... The contact lens from hell. It spent more time in my pocket than in my eye. About a year with it mostly out.

Softperm - absolute heaven. Vision is great but....they are so good you overwear them, they destroy you in air conditioning. Find a regime where you can take them out to give your eyes a break before they hurt. Use lots of rewetting drops if the air is dry and use them before you think you need to as then its too late. Wearing for about 10 years.

Sclerals - much more comfortable than you would expect. When you take them out your eye feels like its had a nice cuddle. You can be tempted to overwear these too. Vision not too far out compared to softperm in my left eye jurys out on the right as I havent got it yet.
Still have troubloe getting the damn things out though. Had it about 3 months

I would say my top two are softperm or sclerals so as these both begin with S maybe I should avoid lenses beginning with R ?

Chris Pike

Postby Chris Pike » Sat 24 Apr 2004 11:38 am

I find my rigid lenses exremely uncomfortable to wear, soon though I am going to London where my parents and I hope they will perscribe me something different.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”