Having a baby

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Laura H

Having a baby

Postby Laura H » Mon 12 Apr 2004 4:40 pm

Hi all, Haven't posted for a while, things are going well at the mo, no major probems. Just a quic question. I'm expecting my first baby in September and would like to know how soon you would recommend having his/her eyes tested. I know it may not be able to be passed on, but would they be able to tell at a young age or not? Any help on this matter would be appreciated. Many thanx

Laura H

John Smith
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Tue 13 Apr 2004 10:00 pm

Hi Laura.

Congratulations on your news :D

My advice would be not to panic (easy for me to say, I know).

KC usually only comes to light at around the time of puberty. Assuming things haven't changed too much since my day, the school would arrange an eye test at about age 6-7; it would probably be worth mentioning your KC then to set your mind at rest.

All the best,
John

Roman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Roman » Thu 22 Apr 2004 10:54 am

Well unfortunately I heard that nowadays the age when people get diagnosed with KC is lowering. I would watch my child very closely but believe me the chance that he/she will never have KC is much higher than the opposite. That mean don´t panic but stay watchful.

I heard about 5 year old child with KC and many very young children are now diagnosed.

I hope the cure will be up soon so that at least our children could be protected from uneasy life with KC.
Take Care

Roman

Return to “General Discussion Forum”