Dry eyes ?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Britdazz
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Dry eyes ?

Postby Britdazz » Sat 28 Oct 2017 6:21 pm

I have had KC for 17 years, diagnosed in 2000 so dead easy to remember 8), but anyway last year I suffered terribly from dry eyes which my hospital told me was normal for KC folk, so the advice was false tears.

I now use a product called Blink n Clean bought from Vision Direct at the moment. I apply it as and when, once an hour or every few hours cured not only the pain of dry eyes but cleans away the smears, excellent product!

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Re: Dry eyes ?

Postby space_cadet » Sun 29 Oct 2017 6:02 pm

I have chronic Blepharitus and another condition where my tears ducts simply do not work, over the years I had tried every form of over the counter and pescription based artifical tears with not much success. I had had temporary plugs fitted a lot as well only due to how severe my dry eyesa re they simply fell out. Last year I had pernament plugs fitted in both lower n upper lids under a general anesthetic and for the 1st time in over 20 years my eyes are actually able to produce their own tears and I can maintain function with hylo tears and hylo forte.
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

clareamanda1

Postby clareamanda1 » Sun 29 Oct 2017 6:49 pm

Hi..i suffer terrible with dry eyes and swear by celluvisc 1% and 0.5%. I also have a heated gel mask which opens the pores in my eyes making the dry symptoms less painful xx

Britdazz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Britdazz » Wed 01 Nov 2017 3:28 pm

I first tried Hycosan Plus but found out I had an allergic reaction to we think the preservatives.

I also clean my lids with Blephasol.

I m 52 and was diagnosed in 2000, the older I get the more lotions and potions I seem to need!

I have been told, again by the hospital optometrist that its not uncommon for KC patients to have dry spots at 3 and 9 o'clock positions because the, well my, RGP lenses hold the eye lid off the surface of the eye.

The other tip was because my natural tears are rubbish to reduce my caffeine intake, which is now pretty much zero, drink water, the flavoured stuff from Asda is great, as a result yes I still have dry eyes but I suppose not as bad as they used to be. :shock: :shock: :shock:

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Postby space_cadet » Mon 06 Nov 2017 3:35 pm

drinking less cafine doesnt necessarily equate to a better or healthier tear production, iv drunk over 10 pints of water a day day in n day out for most of my life as a kid i hated juice so was always drinking water.

I personally found celluvisc drops useless but they are often a inital point of use for many as they are cheap in comparasion to many others on teh market. Many of us can't tolerate preservatives in drops so why they inist on giving them to us, altho they are cheaper to produce with them in which is probably why they give them easier than other alternatives
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Return to “General Discussion Forum”