General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Thomashay
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Thomashay » Mon 28 Aug 2017 7:47 pm

Hi all , I have had keratoconus from the age of 17 I'm now 38. So my recent history of this horrendous condition is quite a story lol I was prescribed hard lenses to begin with and wore these for about 10 years until I got a really nasty mechanical ulcer on the cornea of my right eye. I then had to have a partial graft in the right eye. Once everything had settled down I was put onto kerasofts and all was great apart from the usual reshaping of new lens but last week I was back at my clinic for new lens but was told my left eye could no longer be measured by the machine. So I now face the prospect of going back on the hard lenses with the nipple shape incorporated in them.

I'm at a point now were I want to give up trying n just accept poor vision. What makes it worse is the fact I drive for a living.

I'd be really greatful if anyone could help me out with any other options open to me as I just can't tolerate the hard lenses.

Thanks in advance

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Re: New member

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 29 Aug 2017 11:11 am

Hello Thomas and welcome to the forum.
Contact lenses for KC come in all sorts of shapes and materials these days. They include scleral lenses, which cover the whole eye and don't touch the cornea and are sometimes used when there's a steep cone. There's also piggy-backing which is wearing a soft lens underneath the hard lens to give greater comfort. If you e-mail me your postal address anne@keratoconus-group.org.uk I can send you our information booklet on KC which covers all the different options.

CHolland1
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby CHolland1 » Tue 12 Sep 2017 4:02 pm

Hi I'm also in a similar situation. I have KC since a teenager. I have had intacs (think that's how you spell it ) and now I'm fitted with a piggy back type lenses from US. Really struggling with fit and think I need a different lens. Could you please send me some information. Feeling like giving up at the moment as this is the 3rd pair of lenses in last 5 months

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 13 Sep 2017 10:38 am

As I said to Thomas, if you e-mail your postal address to anne@keratoconus-group.org.uk I'll send you our information booklet.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”