Hybrid lens care

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Mowri
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Hybrid lens care

Postby Mowri » Fri 05 May 2017 9:06 pm

I'm looking for advice from anyone who wears hybrid lenses on how you look after them.

When/how do you clean your lenses? What about storage?

Also, do you use eye drops to keep the lenses lubricated during use and/or prevent discomfort when you're wearing them?

Lia Williams

Re: Hybrid lens care

Postby Lia Williams » Thu 11 May 2017 3:33 pm

Hi Mowri,

There are not many people on the forum who wear hybrid lenses so you may not get an answer to your question from some one who uses them.

I believe hybrid lenses were invented to replace piggyback lenses where a soft lens is worn under a hard lens for comfort. I think that there were some problems with some of the initial designs so many people have continued with their piggyback lenses. I understand that there have been some recent developments with hybrid lenses so would expect that more people will be prescribed these lenses.

As the lenses have a soft skirt I would expect that solutions for RGP lenses would be unsuitable. Do ask your optometrist for advice about what type of lens solutions you can use as they will have had recommendations from the manufacturers. Do let us know how you get on. As a piggyback lens wearer I have wondered it they would be less of a hassle than dealing with two pairs of lenses.

Lia

Mowri
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Mowri » Fri 09 Jun 2017 1:55 pm

Ive been using the lenses for just over a week now.

Generally solutions and drops that are suitable for soft lenses are fine. I've not actually needed to use any drops for comfort. I actually find the lenses more comfortable when my eyes are a little drier. I tear up badly when I first insert them which is a pain.

I had a few issues inserting and removing the lenses to begin with but the cleaning and storage process is actually easier than when I tried soft lenses years ago. The hard part of the lenses gives it stability so no issues with things flipping inside out.

The fit of the lenses is great so breaking the seal on my eye was difficult to start with. A drier lenses makes that slightly easier. You can get the soft skirt to buckle and it pops out.

dalbeath
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby dalbeath » Tue 27 Jun 2017 10:38 am

I had a hybrid lens for years and only stopped wearing it a few months ago (nothing to do with the lens - I needed an emergency graft).

I used to store them in this
http://www.opti-free.com/contact-lens-s ... -solution/

I used to just give them a gentle rub with solution.

Once or twice a week I used
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ot%C3%A9-Clean ... B00E8CS00I

You obviously have to be careful rubbing them that you do not rip the hard bit off the soft bit.

I never really needed drops, occasionally on very hot days or if I wore them a long time I would used Viscotears individual vials of preservative free drops

Hope this helps. I found them pretty easy to put in once I bought one of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CoscosX-Plasti ... nses+stick

To take it out I used to just pinch the edge of the soft part. If very dry I used to drop in some saline into eye to moisten and break the seal a little

Good luck - I used to really like my lens

Return to “General Discussion Forum”