What does haze mean

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Cm96
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

What does haze mean

Postby Cm96 » Wed 22 Mar 2017 3:30 am

Hey I'm twenty years old. And have basically lost all sight in my right eye due to keratoconus, I've been told I will need a graft in my right eye, but to wait to a stage in my life where I have finished uni and have a job. My sight in my left eye is 20/20 with glasses but there has been some evidence of deterioration in my left eye, and I'm considering getting crosslinking done.

My doctor had told me that as my sight is 20/20 in my left eye and it is the one I use to see, it is up to me to decide whether to do the crosslinking now or wait untill there is more evidence of deterioration in a few years.

I have heard about the complications of hazing but don't fully understand how much it effects sight. And I am worried that I will loose my sight in both eyes.

What can you see when you have hazing?
How long does it usually last?

Lia Williams

Re: What does haze mean

Postby Lia Williams » Wed 22 Mar 2017 10:18 pm

Hi Cm96,

Welcome to the forum.

Moorfields Eye Hospital have produced a leaflet about crosslinking which you might find helpful:

http://www.moorfields.nhs.uk/sites/defa ... king_2.pdf

Cm96 wrote:And have basically lost all sight in my right eye due to keratoconus,

Are you able to get any vision from your right eye with contact lenses? It seems strange that they have suggested that you wait for a few years for a graft if you need one. Meanwhile there are lots of different designs for contact lenses these days and it may be that there is a lens which will be able to give you some vision when glasses don't work.

Lia

Return to “General Discussion Forum”