Quick question about prescriptions

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Jaydensmith
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Quick question about prescriptions

Postby Jaydensmith » Wed 07 Sep 2016 9:21 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and newly diagnosed and just wondered if you could help me with something.

I originally went for a routine eye test at specsavers and this is when they said I might have keratoconus, I then went to another optometrist as they they were able to do the corneal topography. They did the topography and another eye test and confirmed keratoconus in both eyes but worse in the right.

My vision isn't that bad currently so I decided on no contacts or glasses. When I got home I compared the prescription from specsavers and the one from the other optometrist and they were completely different, one stating -0.25 sphere on the right eye and one stating +3.50 sphere in the right. I know it's difficult to prescribe for keratotonic eyes but is it possible that one of them could get it that wrong?

Lia Williams

Re: Quick question about prescriptions

Postby Lia Williams » Thu 08 Sep 2016 4:44 pm

Hi Jayden,

Welcome to the forum. The two prescriptions do seem to be a different. Is this the full prescription? I would have expected that you would also have had a cylindrical correction to correct the astigmatism caused by KC.

The -0.25 sphere means that eye is very slightly shortsighted and that things in the distance would be very very slightly blurred. 0.25 is the smallest increment in glasses prescriptions so it is unlikely that that most people would both with the correction.

+3.50 sphere means that you would be long sighted and would be unable to read without correction.

How this helps,

Lia

Jaydensmith

Postby Jaydensmith » Thu 08 Sep 2016 7:21 pm

Hi lia,

There was more to the prescriptions but the other values weren't so different.

When I close my good eye (left) things close and far away are blurred but things close are more blurry so I think the +3.25 is more accurate.

I just wouldn't have expected such a difference.

Thanks for the help!

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Postby space_cadet » Sat 10 Sep 2016 10:17 am

it is perfectly normal for keratoconic eyes to present differently, although if you are that in doubt get a second opinion
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Jaydensmith

Postby Jaydensmith » Sat 10 Sep 2016 5:22 pm

Hi Space_Cadet,

That's what I thought but I didn't think the difference would be so large. The appointments where only a few weeks apart. I'm quite confident with the results of the second test as they said that they see lots of keratotonic patients.

Interestingly in the first test the different lenses didn't seem to change my Vision much but in the second test I was able to tell the difference between each lens much easier so I wonder if this is is why the first results were so different.

Anyway thanks for your advice :)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”