Ideal industry to go into for career with KC

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Ashleydevonport1
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Ideal industry to go into for career with KC

Postby Ashleydevonport1 » Mon 23 May 2016 10:07 pm

Evening

I have been down all routes at work and still struggling with the amount of dust and dark conditions I work in.

I have had aids and been visited by access to work and action for blind. There ain't much they can do in the factory and surrounding quarries etc.

I work in the construction industry and have recently had a corneal graft on right eye. The doctor states that maybe getting out the industry is needed I'm degree qualified and now are struggling to think what I can do for a career

For the last year or so I have struggled in the industry I am in now causing a lot of stress in the mean time

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated

Ash from BIrmingham

Lia Williams

Re: Ideal industry to go into for career with KC

Postby Lia Williams » Tue 24 May 2016 9:47 pm

Hi Ash,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm really sorry to read that keratoconus is meaning that you may have to change your career. I don't if there is such a thing as an ideal career people with KC do all sorts of different things. There is a thread which was started a couple of years ago where people discussed what they did and how it affected them.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15615

People are affected in different ways. Dust and bright lights/glare tend to be the main issues. As you know dusty environments can be a big problem when wearing contact lenses. Dust is less of a problem with scleral lenses and soft lenses as dust can't get trapped behind them in the same way as corneal contact lenses.

It's a pity that Access to Work and Action for Blind were unable to help. Is it not possible to get some sort of goggles to protect your eyes? What sort of aids have they been able to help with?

Lia

Ashleydevonport1

Postby Ashleydevonport1 » Wed 25 May 2016 7:18 am

Good morning lia

I will read the link later thanks for the response

They have gave me aids for my computer and to help spot defects with a microscopic camera.

They advised that due to my job being 70 in the dark and dusty conditions there ain't much that can be done with poor eyesight. The lens wearing can't be done by me as when I put them in the dust gets into my eye

I have tried allsorts of goggles even tight fitting ones that don't let less than 38 microns off dust through
But the particles are so fine in the brick and clay industry that work can't do anything else

I can get a air fed face mask but this will cause dry eyes to get worse

Thanks

Ash

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby John Thatcher » Wed 25 May 2016 10:08 am

Hi Ash,

Office work would seem an obvious choice but a lot of industry, especially electronics, has to manufacture, assemble and test in very clean conditions and that usually comes with good lighting. However, you need to be careful as some electronics needs ultra clean/sterile conditions that comes with very low humidity which is no good for dry eyes. If I remember rightly, you work in quality control where I'm sure there is a demand in the electronics field for such skills. (sorry if I've got that wrong).

Good luck

John

Ashleydevonport1

Postby Ashleydevonport1 » Wed 25 May 2016 11:27 am

John

Yes you ate correct that is me. I have a appointment with a careers advisor on Tuesday to seek soke advice and see where my qualifications can get me in another industry.

I have experience of surveyor in the social housing sector and I have applied for a job in that as from experience or weren't a bad industry for dust etc

Electronics is a good shout though. I have spoken to action for blind again anf they are going to help me seek additional help.

Doesn't help the recovery on my eye with the stress though

Thanks

Ash

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby John Thatcher » Wed 25 May 2016 12:52 pm

Glad to hear you are being proactive and getting some help Ash, also that you recognise the effect of stress. I know it's easy to say 'keep calm' when you don't feel that way but do try to avoid letting the tension get to you, even simple stuff like some deep slow breathing and trying to empty your mind can help. It might also be useful to try and step back from all the immediate worries and think how you will look back in perspective a lot later and see this as a relatively short period of uncertainty. Best wishes, John

Return to “General Discussion Forum”