Thoughts on Intacs?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Thoughts on Intacs?

Postby John Thatcher » Thu 31 Mar 2016 5:33 pm

This is a request for anyone with recent experience of intacs to comment on a question I have been asked about their use. Most of the FAQ section is fairly old on this topic so any recent input will be appreciated. Someone who is struggling with wearing time of RGPs is desperate to find a way forward and feels intacs may be the route. He has also tried kerasoft and piggybacking RGPs but neither of those appear to be comfortable and the real issue could be dry eyes but unfortunately the usual drops don't seem to work. Thoughts?
Thanks, John

sladey700
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Thoughts on Intacs?

Postby sladey700 » Tue 05 Apr 2016 11:24 am

Hi John

I had intacts put in my right eye in 2008, my eyes were constantly dry and the steepness of my condition meant I could only wear RGP for an hour at a time and they kept dropping out. I trialled the hybrids but due to the dry eyes ended up whilst at work tearing my Cornea, whilst trying to take it out. It was one of the painful experiences ever. My right eye was the worse and decided to go privately which wasn't cheap but well worth it. It is now the most dominant eye and I wish I had had the money to do the left. After surgery it pushed the NHS to fit me with Scleral lenses which are far better and very comfortable as there is no contact with the thinning part of the Cornea. I would suggest pushing the NHS towards those lenses!

Cheers

Adam

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Thoughts on Intacs?

Postby John Thatcher » Tue 05 Apr 2016 1:06 pm

Thanks Adam, very interesting comments and sorry to hear about the torn cornea which must have been an horrific experience. Can you clarify if you are using sclerals on both eyes or just on the one without intacs and is your right eye vision needing any correction at all? Good luck, John

Return to “General Discussion Forum”