Scleral lenses or hybrids?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

jonnyh132
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Scleral lenses or hybrids?

Postby jonnyh132 » Mon 21 Mar 2016 11:56 am

Hi there, so I've had KC for 4 years or so now. I've tried RGB and piggybacking, and I'm currently on hybrid lenses. The vision is fine, but I find my eyes are just so dry and they just irritate me if I don't put eye drops in every 15mins or so at times.

I've got my next NHS appointment in a few days and I'm wondering if asking for Scleral lenses.

Anyone with experience able to tell me if they are more comfortable than hybrids, and good for dry eyes? I can't seem to find any comparisons between the two types.

Also are there any new types available on the NHS? you never know with science these days what's been created.

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Scleral lenses or hybrids?

Postby John Thatcher » Mon 21 Mar 2016 12:44 pm

hi jonny, I've been wearing lenses over 45 years but never worn full sclerals though I know those who do seem very happy with them. I have a 'mini-scleral' RGP lens on one eye which is about 18mm in diameter and vaults the cornea; it rests on the white of the eye just outside the main bulge of the cornea but is incredibly comfortable, almost on a par with a soft lens. It goes in with saline, like a full scleral, and i occassionally add a saline or lubricant drop to the eye if it feels a bit dry in the day. Not sure if would suit you but could be another option. Good luck with the next visit and let us know what happens, John

Radhi
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Radhi » Mon 04 Apr 2016 8:47 pm

I've been wearing sclerals for over 10 years but am now trying out the hybrids. I found the hybrids to be the BEST vision I've ever had but I experience sever discomfort after a couple of hours - dryness and small abrasions seem to be the culprit.

The sclerals however have for me proven to be the most comfortable lenses I've ever had but the vision isn't that clear and tends to fog up after several hours wearing time.

sladey700
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby sladey700 » Tue 05 Apr 2016 11:08 am

Hi there

I too have been wearing Scleral lenses for 10 years. I first tried the hybrid lenses for both eyes, sadly due to suffering dry eyes the soft part of my lenses stuck to my cornea causing a tear when removing. I must say this was one of the most painful experiences I have had!

After having intacts on my right eye I was offered Scleral lenses from the usual RGP which I hated. Pardon the pun I have never looked back, yes sometimes the clarity isn't there, but if you have to wear your lenses for long periods of time and you are pretty active these lenses are great. Care and maintenance is pretty straightforward too!

Good luck

Adam

Return to “General Discussion Forum”