3rd transplant rejection episode

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: 3rd transplant rejection episode

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 14 Jan 2016 10:56 am

A hard decision to make. All the best with getting your lupus under control - it does sound like that would make a difference to the outcome of a regraft if that's the way you decide to go.
Keep in touch.

Sheila_e
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Re: 3rd transplant rejection episode update

Postby Sheila_e » Tue 02 Feb 2016 8:17 pm

I am now having another rejection episode - back on the hourly drops along with mycophenolate Mofetil, which alongside Methotrexate means I am on two different immune suppressants which is a bit scary.

I was leaning toward having the 4th graft, but I am not sure this one will be stable enough for them to do it. One of the visiting Fellows also said that that this graft was very large and next to the isis which would increase the risks.

back to the hospital again next week.

Sheila

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 03 Feb 2016 11:09 am

Really sorry to hear this, Sheila. I hope this episode will be back under control more quickly. All the best for next week.

Sheila_e
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Sheila_e » Thu 11 Feb 2016 7:25 pm

Rejection episode has slowed down, so on 2 hourly drops, but was told that my cornea is touching the iris and this increases the risk of rejection. I don't really understand this, nor know if there is anything they can do to reduce the risk with the next transplant if I have one.

Sheila_e
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 3rd transplant rejection episode- update

Postby Sheila_e » Mon 07 Mar 2016 5:40 pm

My cornea torn, they said due to one part of it collapsing due to the thickness of the cornea where the fluid isn't being moved.

It was initially very painful but I now ware a bandage lens which has helped considerably. The consultant have said they won't do the next transplant until I have had 12 weeks without any inflammation. Currently on week 5.
I have my first round of Rituximab which should help get my immune system under control. Which should also help.

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Loopy-Lou » Mon 07 Mar 2016 7:51 pm

So sorry Sheila what a horrible time you're having, I hope it settles

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby John Thatcher » Mon 21 Mar 2016 1:40 pm

Do hope you are now out of pain Sheila and that the inflammation hasn't returned, wishing you all the best and every encouragement in getting through this and hope you feel able to post an update sometime, good luck! John

Sheila_e
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Sheila_e » Wed 06 Apr 2016 8:07 pm

Thank you all for your best wishes and support it certainly does help. The eye has settled down and it appears the bandage lens has helped, with no more rejection episodes,or tears in the corneal, the hospital have said they won't consider another transplant until I have had twelve weeks with no inflammation the count down started on the 9th Feb, I had my second Rituximab infusion today, so feeling pretty wiped out and will rest for the next few days, hopefully it's a short term pain for a long term gain and my Lupus will be under control which will improve the changes of success for the next transplant. All the best Sheila

Sheila_e
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 3rd transplant rejection episode- update

Postby Sheila_e » Sun 08 May 2016 11:18 am

Jus made 12 weeks without any inflammation in the rejected cornea,I've had my Rituximab infusions, so my lupus is under control! so hopefully will be able to have a conversation about the next transplant with my consultant on my next hospital visit in a few weeks.

Sheila_e
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Sheila_e » Wed 22 Jun 2016 7:56 am

I have been told that I will have to wait a year or more before they can do the 4th transplant as there is a shortage in donors.
So I continue to wear the bandage and the drops and wait and see what happens next. eye has remains calm so things not looking to bad

Sheila

Return to “General Discussion Forum”