Hydrops recovery

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

KarenB
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Hydrops recovery

Postby KarenB » Sun 28 Jun 2015 7:05 am

Hi. I have had KC for just over 25years. In August 2013 I had hydrops in right eye then 3 months later it reocurred. By March 2014 I was able to wear scheral lens again as the scar was just off centre and not affecting line of vision. Unfortunately last month I have had to have new scheral lens as eye has slightly bulged. Not flattened as in most cases:-( .The problem I have now even after 15 months I can't go out in the sun for long even when wearing sunglasses. My eye clouds up. Very frustrating. I have to take lens out as it seems to magnify the cloudiness. Is this something I will have to put up with. I'm starting to think that maybe I should have had the graft. Also do any other members seem to have more headaches due to to the KC?

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Hydrops recovery

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sun 28 Jun 2015 10:17 am

I hope you might get some replies from scleral lens wearers. When you say your eye clouds up, do you mean it's producing mucus? That's often a sign of dry eye which a lot of us with KC have. And lots of us are very light sensitive, which makes the problem worse. I often wear a cap with a brim these days as well as sunglasses to cut out the bright light from above. Have you told your optometrist about your symptoms? Eye drops for dry eyes might help.
As for headaches, yes, they do seem to be more common for us, especially if our eyes are 'unbalanced' and we're seeing slightly differently out of each eye. But it's always worth getting checked out by your GP in case the headaches aren't KC related.

KarenB

Postby KarenB » Mon 29 Jun 2015 9:15 am

Many thanks for reply. When my eye clouds up it isn't mucus. It's just cloudy. Think eye must be more sensitive since hydrops. I will try a peak cap or sun hat for extra cover from glare. I wear sunglasses every time I go out. I think headaches are KC related but pleased to know it probably because eyes are unbalanced. My right eye is very bad with KC and left eye has KC but mild. Thank you for info

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 30 Jun 2015 7:56 am

Do ask your optometrist about the cloudiness, too. It's always easier to deal with problems when we understand what's causing them!

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Tue 30 Jun 2015 10:55 am

The cloudiness could be small bubbles forming a froth. I used to have a problem with corneal lens that used to cloud over. I was always taking it out and cleaning it but it would just cloud over again. I was quite surprised when the optometrist told me what the problem was - I'd never heard of bubbles causing such a problem. I now piggy back the corneal lens with a disposable lens and this as solved the problem.

Lia

KarenB

Postby KarenB » Wed 01 Jul 2015 7:36 pm

I really appreciate all your replies. The eye is cloudy. It gets worse as day goes on. It's just like a fog on the eye. I have only suffered with this since hydrops. Never had it before.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”