Anyone tried AR coated glasses for driving?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Anyone tried AR coated glasses for driving?

Postby CrippsCorner » Sun 23 Nov 2014 10:54 pm

Hi I was recently looking into special night time driving glasses (of the yellow tinted variety) but was eventually put off them. However from that link I read about AR (anti-reflective) coating that can be added to glasses... now usually I prefer driving in my contacts but seeing as though my main issues are the glare/halos I wondered if this could be worth looking into?

http://allaboutvision.com/lenses/anti-reflective.htm

Before and after...

scottz750r
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Re: Anyone tried AR coated glasses for driving?

Postby scottz750r » Mon 24 Nov 2014 11:18 pm

If this actually worked it would be great.
Have you found out where could do it and how much it would cost?

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Tue 25 Nov 2014 8:10 am

A bit of Googling reveals AR coating is available at most opticians, including Vision Express & Specsavers. Most reviews seem to be positive, although some people seem to complain of reflections actually getting worse... it's annoying all these options for us cost so much money. I'm surprised I've never heard this talked about from any of my various opticians or optometrists :roll:

scottz750r
Contributor
Contributor

Postby scottz750r » Tue 25 Nov 2014 2:50 pm

Yeah i must admit, i've never actually heard of this anti-reflective coating.
I have heard of the yellow tint night glasses though, i was told there pretty much a scam and are actually unsafe to wear at night.

I have a contact lens fitting appointment in 3 months (with NHS so i'm not expecting much) I shall be asking about glasses and see what they say about this.

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Grant » Tue 25 Nov 2014 6:57 pm

I have a pair of RayBan polarised sunglasses - just checked their website and it states that all their polarised lens have an AR coating. They are superb for driving and I frequently wear them well into dusk; they really help with glare and fatigue reduction.

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Tue 25 Nov 2014 7:20 pm

scottz750r wrote:Yeah i must admit, i've never actually heard of this anti-reflective coating.
I have heard of the yellow tint night glasses though, i was told there pretty much a scam and are actually unsafe to wear at night.

I have a contact lens fitting appointment in 3 months (with NHS so i'm not expecting much) I shall be asking about glasses and see what they say about this.

Found the same with the yellow tinted ones, don't think they're really worth bothering with.

Are you waiting on CXL whilst you trial contacts? If so I'd go in and make a fuss... imo time is your energy with keratoconus. I'm not a confident person in general but I felt strongly about this so marched over to the eye unit at the hospital and demanding to speak to the manager. I was then given a contact lens appointment within just a few weeks. In fact I've complained a few times now and got my appointments brought forward.

Grant wrote:I have a pair of RayBan polarised sunglasses - just checked their website and it states that all their polarised lens have an AR coating. They are superb for driving and I frequently wear them well into dusk; they really help with glare and fatigue reduction.

My glasses are Ray-Ban's but because I have prescription lenses in them I'm guessing those aren't actually made by Ray-Ban... therefore I need to check with my optician!

scottz750r
Contributor
Contributor

Postby scottz750r » Wed 26 Nov 2014 11:54 pm

Cripps, No i'm not waiting for CXL. When i went last week he told me they don't actually do CXL and he didn't speak very good English so i wasn't going to argue about it seeing as he said there was very little progression and it may have been down to the new and better machine getting a more accurate scan.
i'm like you, not very confident, didn't know what to say at the time, but when i got home i was kicking myself that i didn't complain.

I'll be phoning tomorrow about getting my lens fitting brought forward, so fingers crossed.

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Thu 27 Nov 2014 8:06 am

Good luck buddy.

Oh and if they don't do CXL, but you're still interested in it, get them to refer you to somewhere that does!

Stace234
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Stace234 » Thu 04 Dec 2014 11:34 pm

I've got anti reflective coating and I'm sorry to say it doesn't help me at all :(

And do sunglasses actually help?
"A journey of thousands of miles starts with one tiny step"

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Fri 05 Dec 2014 11:11 am

I shouldn't think so. My normal glasses are heavily tinted and tbh I find it a little annoying at night time if anything...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”