How do you deal with 'bad eye' days?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Elvenmunky
Contributor
Contributor

How do you deal with 'bad eye' days?

Postby Elvenmunky » Sun 15 Jun 2014 12:59 pm

Okay so there is some days where I just cannot keep the lens in my eye without it tearing or aching and it takes a day or two without the lens in for it to feel comfortable again. Some days I really can't afford to keep the lens out due to work so is there any way to speed up the healing process? Does anyone get this? Any tips?

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: How do you deal with 'bad eye' days?

Postby space_cadet » Sun 15 Jun 2014 9:10 pm

as someone whose KC has left them formally and legally registered blind it does tend to upset me when people refer to a "bad eye day" as a day without lens wear or painful lens wear, for some of us lenses are not or may not have been a option for a long time

at least you get the days when you can see with lenses, and you get the vision they give you.

yes this is a negative post which I have had to send with assistance of speech software because I am having a bad day , so bad I cant actually work out and decifer how many eyes my 16 month old daughter has this evening as to me she 7 eyes and 3 noses.

:ea
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Grant » Mon 16 Jun 2014 6:37 am

Been having a lot of bad eye days recently, I'm coming up on two months coping with just one lens. For me, lots of lubrication helps, also try to give the eyes a rest from the lens at the weekends as much as possible.

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Mon 16 Jun 2014 8:00 am

Sorry that I'm not directly answering your question but I was wondering... what exactly is a bad eye day?

I had a pretty rough weekend, my eye seemed to react badly to me putting my contact in my right eye on Saturday and it soon turned red, got quite sore and wouldn't stop streaming for a while. I tried a few times but I had to give it some rest in the end. On Sunday I got it in fine but the contact was near on useless the entire day, couldn't see anything. Today, everything's fine again. What actually happened to my eye?

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Mon 16 Jun 2014 4:04 pm

CrippsCorner wrote:Sorry that I'm not directly answering your question but I was wondering... what exactly is a bad eye day?

Good Eye Days/ Bad Eye Days are described here:

http://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/exp ... e_day.html

Lia

Cheesypeeps

Postby Cheesypeeps » Mon 23 Jun 2014 3:16 pm

space_cadet wrote:as someone whose KC has left them formally and legally registered blind it does tend to upset me when people refer to a "bad eye day" as a day without lens wear or painful lens wear, for some of us lenses are not or may not have been a option for a long time

at least you get the days when you can see with lenses, and you get the vision they give you.

yes this is a negative post which I have had to send with assistance of speech software because I am having a bad day , so bad I cant actually work out and decifer how many eyes my 16 month old daughter has this evening as to me she 7 eyes and 3 noses.

:ea

I appreciate you seem to be having an awful time and I hope I don't have to go through your current situation however, everything is relevant to each individual.

Sometime I go to the hospital and I feel that they must be faced with people with similar complaints everyday and they seem not to care, however what I am going through is very personal to me (as it will be for the original post).

I think we all need to support each other to the best we can and that means being understanding of everyone's bad eye days.

When I have bad eyes days, more lately than not, I just have to change my mind set and accept it. The days of watching tv are over for me so I just have to accept listening to the radio.
As someone has already said, ,are sure your lubricating your eyes as much as you feel is right.

I used to white water kayak and I no longer can do that however I have just found new hobbies! Don't get me wrong, it is very frustrating but I do think it's all about trying to maintain a positive mental attitude. Thankfully I have a partner who is extremely supportive and that helps me a lot.

Hope your bad eye days don't last forever.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”