Friends & Familly Key to Support

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Friends & Familly Key to Support

Postby GarethB » Sun 23 Feb 2014 9:36 am

Recently I received a PM which I felt one section of should at least be shared!

but like 99.9% of people I can see that you are another member of the SPS (Self Preservation Society).

I find this comment quite offensive! Having spent six years missing out on my daughter growing up over the past 14 years, the first two years due to work and purely my own fault for failing to realise as a new parent there is more to a happy family than earning a good wage to spoil your kids! The rest was due to KC and once I got to see her in the school nativity which meant a day off work to save my lens wear for the evening. I think it is important for me and the family to enjoy what we have together and if that means putting KC to one side then so be it and I make no apologies for doing so.

The most important part I feel of KC support is that which you get from close friends and family as they are the people you encounter on a daily basis.

In my own way I am trying to bring about change regarding contact lens technology, educating and working with professionals (new and old) in the realities of living with KC etc....
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Friends & Familly Key to Support

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 24 Feb 2014 7:19 am

Gareth

I am sorry that you are victim to abusive Private Messages. You have contributed more to the support of people with keratoconus and to the 'user' persecutive being at the forefront of new lens technologies than almost anyone I know.

Keep up the good work.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Grant » Mon 24 Feb 2014 9:52 am

Pretty sad that in such a small community there are some who think PMs such as that are helpful.

As an occasional poster I just wanted to say thanks for your contributions Gareth, much appreciated.

longhoc
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby longhoc » Mon 24 Feb 2014 10:12 am

Yes, agree with Andrew and Grant -- Gareth is probably one of the UK's greatest "unsung heros" of corneal disease outside of the professionals in that area. It would be a great shame to loose his contributions and I hope sincerely that won't be the case.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”