Users of SoftPerm Lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Bob Somi
Contributor
Contributor

Users of SoftPerm Lenses

Postby Bob Somi » Thu 01 Apr 2004 2:11 pm

All SoftPerm Users,
The lastest spec sheet for SoftPerm states (as required by FDA in the States) that cleaner for SoftPerm MUST NOT CONTAIN an isopropyl alchohol. Miraflow contains approx 20%Isopropyl alchohol. I used to use this until I got my new lens last week and did not notice any damage but I have switched to alternative.

John Smith
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Thu 01 Apr 2004 4:51 pm

Hi Bob, welcome to the forums.

Is the ban on isopropyl alcohol in the states just for softperm cleaners, or for all lenses?

I wonder if it's because of the risk of some of the alcohol being absorbed by the soft part of the lens.

I was prescribed Miraflow by Moorfields for cleaning sclerals. Once (and never again :oops: ), I managed to confuse the miraflow bottle with the similarly coloured FML bottle. Result: one drop of Miraflow in the eye. Trust me, it hurt. A lot.
John

Anna Mason
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Anna Mason » Thu 01 Apr 2004 6:55 pm

This worries me a lot as I use Miraflow all the time but have had the odd bad experience with my softperm. I had a whole summer where it was suspected that they were contamintaed as I used to put them in and my eyes puffed up and the only way I could get to work was to put my lenses in and stand in the shower for 30 minutes.

Ref putting cleaner in your eye I will post a separate note on this.

Bob Somi
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Somi » Fri 02 Apr 2004 8:02 pm

The warning applies only to soft perms.I attach the link to the CIBA site.

http://www.cibavision.com/procare/pdf/ file_2623398_US SoftPerm PI (096186- D7361B).pdf - 70.3KB

There are a lot of warnings in the doc most of which are obvious but may cause concern to new users of Softperm. All I can say is I have been using these since 93 and so far have no problems.

The doc also suggests how to rehydrate your lens if they have accidentally dried out.

For folks that have been blinded temprarily by cleaners I will start a new thred called Regards.

Bob Somi
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Somi » Fri 02 Apr 2004 8:30 pm

I should have added if the link does not work, then simply go to the CIBA site, use the search facility on that site with keywork "soft Perm"

Return to “General Discussion Forum”