Campaign or mutual support

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Do you think that the KC Group should do more work in campaigining for services for KC sufferers around the country?

Yes
88%
No
No votes
Use RNIB as a campaigning group
13%

Total votes: 8

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 25 Mar 2004 1:50 pm

I'm wondering whether the KC group could raise its profile as a campaigning group, or whether the needs of Keratoconus sufferers around the Uk could do with the support of a campaigning group like the RNIB?

Certainly it seems extremely unsatisfactory that so many people with KC seem not to be well supported by the NHS, while folk like myself who live in the general orbit of major teaching hospitals with dedicated cornea clinics enjoy a world class service.
Andrew MacLean

Helen Scholar
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Helen Scholar » Thu 25 Mar 2004 10:22 pm

How about a 'keratoconus awareness' week? I'm sure most people have never heard of this condition; I certainly hadn't before my son was diagnosed. I didn't know that it was the reason for most of the corneal grafts that take place in the UK (which I read somewhere - probably here!), or appreciate the fact that problems with lenses can mean people have periods when their vision is (temporarily) very poor indeed. Perhaps raising awareness would be of benefit when people with KC need support in education or the workplace?

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 26 Mar 2004 9:43 am

Helen

An excellent idea. It would be good tor aise the profile of the condition in schools, GP practices, colleges and Universities, as well as in the general public.

andrew
Andrew MacLean

Anna Mason
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Anna Mason » Sat 27 Mar 2004 11:22 am

It is only over the last 10 years that I discovered that other people have it I used to think it was only a few of us.

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 27 Mar 2004 12:33 pm

To be honest, Anna, that's why I think this site is such a wonderful place.

If we have nudged along imagining that we were alone, or at least part of a small and probably insignificant section of the population, then how can we expect the general public, GP's or even opticians to have any idea of the particular circumstances with which we live?

When we had our recent Scottish group meeting, some folk who had lived with this condition for over twenty years were meeting for the first time other people with the same condition.

I have visited the RNIB site on a number of occasions and they have nothing on Kertoconus. Maybe the first step is to get them to recognize that KC is a not uncommon condition that leads to serious loss of sight and in some cases leaves people legally blind in one or both eyes.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

sajeev nadarajan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sajeev nadarajan » Sat 27 Mar 2004 3:19 pm

Hi Everybody,
I agree with you all 100%. If we don't do it knowone else will !
Regards

Sajeev

Return to “General Discussion Forum”