My Ferrara rings surgery

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Roman
Contributor
Contributor

My Ferrara rings surgery

Postby Roman » Wed 24 Mar 2004 11:55 am

I just want to share my own experience with KC and Ferrara rings. It is still quite unknown treatment of KC in Europe and I think it is really worth to take a look at it.

I was diagnosed in 1998 and KC progressed fairly quickly. In 2002 I was standing at the point to consider graft for my right eye as most docs in my country advised me. I knew all the pros and cons of graft and I refused and tried to look at any other option. In January 2003 I passed first surgery in Milan (Italy) of my right eye where 2 segments were implanted into my cornea (Ferrara rings are similar to Intacs but can be more effective for advanced stages of KC see more detailed info at http://www.kcsupport.org/Ferrara%20rings.htm). Two months later I passed the surgery with my left eye.

Unfortunately later on I experienced segment extrusion problem (one segment in each eye). Despite that fact I was able to be corrected with glasses to get back to work (I´m RGP intolerant and before surgeries I was using only soft lenses for correction). My vision was getting better and better every month and in January 2004 I passed re-implanation surgery for the right eye mainly to improve my UCVA and improve the chances to hold KC back. The surgery was done directly by Dr. Ferrara - inventor of FR.

I feel excellent now and I will soon consider left eye re-implantation it everything will be OK. Currently I use NO correction at work and use glasses only for driving. Despite the issues I experienced I consider FR as miracle for me and I hope that rings will hold KC back.

I have posted my whole diary incl. topographies from Jan 2003 to present to kcsupport.org. I have they will publish it soon at their site.

Take Care

Roman

sajeev nadarajan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sajeev nadarajan » Wed 24 Mar 2004 3:54 pm

Hi Roman,
Welcome to our forum, I think alot of people missed your input on another forum.

Please carry on posting here your very interesting messages (you are well known to post in the past).
Regards

Sajeev

Roman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Roman » Wed 24 Mar 2004 4:10 pm

Great to hear from you again Sajeev. I heard about your issues with CFK namely Robert. A lot of good guys were banned from the forum (incl. me). Strange things happened there.

I will be active mainly at KCsupport.org message board more as I helped them with some materials.

If you wish you can read my whole story with topos here http://www.kcsupport.org/Ferrara_Diary.html

I hope you join us there soon
Take Care

Roman

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 24 Mar 2004 7:00 pm

Thank you Roman for sharing your experience with us. What is the long[term outlook for you after this surgery? Will you need to undergo any repeat procedure or is it a one-time only fix?

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Roman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Roman » Thu 25 Mar 2004 7:56 am

Well if there are no segment extrusion issues the rings will stay in the eyes forever (same with the Inatcs). No need to undergo any re-operations. The extrusion problems happen up to 6 months post op then the segment is stable and inside forever.

The main objective of procedure is not refractive (in most cases yoz will still need some correction to achieve acceptable vision acuity) but to stabilize the cornea and prevent KC from progressing.

I hope my rings will fix me at this position. My KC was quite advanced (Stage III). The earlier you pass procedure like FR or Intacs the better results you get.

Roman
Take Care

Roman

Return to “General Discussion Forum”