Quicktopic posts: Jan 2004

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

David B

Postby David B » Wed 14 Jan 2004 8:15 am

I have had progressive KC for about 15 years, and tried hard contacts about 5 years ago and hated them.

I really need to improve my vision, especially for night driving, and have heard of specially fitted 'Rose K' lenses. Has anyone had these fitted, and are they bearable?

Many thanks

David.

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Wed 14 Jan 2004 1:04 pm

David B,

I used to be seen by my local Boots, and after a while, I was sent to hospital for a graft. The consultant there told me straight away that I needed a better optician, and sent me to someone who could do Rose K.

I found the Rose K lenses to be much more comfortable than standard RGPs, and they provided me with useful vision for about 4-5 years. I only stopped wearing them because the KC had developed to a point [sorry] where the cone was so steep that the lens was too unstable (and then it became unbearable). Since then, I've had a graft in one eye and I have a scleral in the other.

If you're offered Rose Ks, I'd certainly go for them as a progression from regular RGPs or glasses. I'm sure they'll take some getting used to after not wearing lenses for a while, but he vision improvement should be all the encouragement you need to switch!

Good luck!

John

Paul Bines

Postby Paul Bines » Wed 14 Jan 2004 6:54 pm

I had my first lot of stitches (right eye) out about a year after the op - I was told fro mthe start that they would have to be removed - and I suspect that the second lot (left eye) won't be done until April or MAy (again, about a year).
The local anastehtic used does numb things a lot, though I have problems keeping my head still - a natural reaction, when someone is coming at you with a metal implement is to back away!. Coming down from the local is a bit of a drag - I tend to take the day off if I know in advance that it's happening, and go to bed when I get home to sleep it off. A couple of ibuprofen and I'm fine the next day.
After my first graft at Moorfields, the stitches were taken out in several stages - they kept missing some, so at succeeding appointments, they would say "Just another stitch to come out!" So far, at Southend, I have not had that problem.
Oddly, the bit I don't look forward to is hearing the 'plink' as the stitch is removed...
Au Res.,
Paul
http://www.efbenson.co.uk/
http://www.paulbines.co.uk
http://www.convergent-diversity.co.uk/

ANDY

Postby ANDY » Wed 14 Jan 2004 7:14 pm

rachel lovejoy:::
I am in brighton and i can honestly say i am 100% satisfied with Dr Morris at the eye hospital she has been so supportive and informative to me.The fit of my lenses has been very good even with my acute astigmatism.
best regards
ANDY

John Smith (Webmaster)

Postby John Smith (Webmaster) » Thu 15 Jan 2004 10:45 am

Here's the second in the series of posts to get you ready for the new board.

When you click on "discussion forum" in the future, you'll know you're on the new board because the screen will be blue-and-red, and the QuickTopic logo will be replaced by the KC group's.

First time you visit, you can just read the messages that are already there, but before you can post you will have to register. Once registered, you can click on "log in" next time you visit.

You will see a forest of fora to peruse. Choose the forum you're interested in ("General Discussion" is the direct replacement for this topic) by clicking on it's name.

Once you're within the forum, you will see a list of the topics contained within it. Just click on the topic title to read the messages.

If you want to start a new topic (usually the case when you are asking a question, rather than answering one), just click on the "New Topic" button. Remember to enter a subject line for your new topic, as that will be the title that appears on the topic list screen.

If you are answering someone's question, you would reply to a topic - your messgage will appear at the end of the list of messages. Simply click on "Post reply" to do that.

Each topic can have a poll attached, so you can ask a question that others can vote on. This can only be done when you post a new topic though, not in a reply.

The best way to experiment with the board though is by actually playing with it. The interim board is now in place, temporarily at http://kcforum.roundel.net/ so you can have a play. Post what you like, as all the messages on the new board will be wiped when it goes live for real, but in the meantime, feel free! If you have any problems with the board though, please contact me at john@roundel.net.

umbilica@umbilical.demon.

Postby umbilica@umbilical.demon. » Thu 15 Jan 2004 5:13 pm

John, thanks for the work and the updates.

How do we register to get the messages sent to us as emails?

Rosemary

--
Rosemary F. Johnson

Robert Smith

Postby Robert Smith » Thu 15 Jan 2004 5:28 pm

I have not posted for a while but keep an eye (aaargh) on the message board. I had a graft two years ago after over 25 years with KC and being totally and completely intolerant to lenses. My stitches are still in and I am due back to the clinic (St James at Leeds) in April. When I asked last time I was there (April 2003) I was told that they might leave them in and they might remove them - it will be interesting to find out what they say this time.

As I said I have always been unable to wear lenses and would not countenance them after several very painful forays. I sometimes feel that there is a bit too much emphasis on not having a graft on the discussion page and feel that it might put people off. It seems to me that everyone is different and what works for some doesn't work for others. The real point is information - knowing all the various treatments etc and, from a position of knowledge, making the decision which is right for you. Certainly scherals are a really good treatment but not perhaps for all.

Incidentally my sight is pretty good after the graft and I have had almost no problems so far.

Best wishes to all and keep up the lively debate

Robert

David Bennett

Postby David Bennett » Fri 16 Jan 2004 9:09 am

John wrote, I quote....
"As for sclerals, mine was fitted using the "Ken Pullum" method. It's really quite straightforward, but I suspect that your name has to be Ken to pull it off:
1. Look at the patient.
2. Pick out the appropriately sized scleral.
3. Insert it.
4. Examine under slit lamp, and then either pick out a different size, or sit back and enjoy the applause!""

LOvely post john,

Fitting sclerals is not *That difficult* apart from the 15 years of research, thousands of hours oif study and 40,000 hours in the laboratory(ok slight exaggeration..!!!)_ making sure the lens actually meets parameters

;-)))))

have a lovely weeekend and I'm glad to hear the sclerals are working. Ken is really quite amazing in that he just looks at a cornea and within 2 lenses has a fit that is accptable and which works. That's experience for you!

David

sarah marsh

Postby sarah marsh » Fri 16 Jan 2004 10:53 am

hi
i had to go to eye clinic this morning as eye has been sore for about a week , couldnt put it off any longer ...couldnt stand lights etc. eye only comfy when eyes closed. both eyes very sore and itchy. at work we have had eye(work in a preschool ) infections so i have been off for a week, taking no chances with transplant .
i have a stitch coming lose but surgeon couldnt take it out as it wasnt quite ready yet. i still have about 8 stitches in eye . he had another go at getting me to book in and knock me out so he can take out the remaining stitches..i refused . also he tried to get me to have other eye done , which i still feel so strongly about not having .
anyway he mentioned i have 'dry eyes '. i was in such a rush to get out of hospital i didnt really ask questions .
he gave me a prescription and i got VISCOTEARS LIQUID GEL.(cheaper than prescription) does anyone use this or give me any info .
many thanx
sarah

John Smith (Webmaster)

Postby John Smith (Webmaster) » Fri 16 Jan 2004 2:19 pm

Prompted by Rosemary, it's time for chapter 3!

I don't know how many, but I'm sure more than a handful of us here make use of QuickTopic's email digest facility. I know that it is especially useful for those of us who have their mails read out loud by the PC, so it was the major criterion in selecting some forum software. Unfortunately, none of the offerings costing less than several thousand pounds had this facility, but the board we will be using had it as an add-on.

Like most features of the board, you have to register before you'll be given the option, but when you have, there is a link at the top of the page "Digests", which will take you to a simple control panel. All of the default options are sensible, so you could just click on "submit", and you're now subscribed to a digest!

You can (amongst other things) choose HTML or plain text digests; the time of day for the digest to be posted; and whether to receive the digest weekly or daily.

I'm currently working on a way of being able to compose an email so that it is posted in the correct topic of the correct forum. That's vexing me at the moment, and I'm considering not doing it initially. If this would affect you, please let me know (john@roundel.net) and I'll reconsider.

As a reminder, you can play with the new board at http://kcforum.roundel.net - but please be aware that you may get sporadic digests as I'm testing if you turn digests on!)

John

Return to “General Discussion Forum”