Quicktopic posts: Dec 2003

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

sajeev

Postby sajeev » Mon 22 Dec 2003 5:36 am

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to know if anyone has used/or is using any ultrasonic contact lens cleaner machines, to clean there contact lenses. Cheak out http://www.nowmedic.com and click on the english icon. (the size of yhe baskets may be a problem !) Anyone have any ideas !

sajeev

Postby sajeev » Mon 22 Dec 2003 5:51 am

Please read My post below before reading this one. Thanks.

I just wanted to add some more info.
The LensMedic : LC 750 can be used with just saline solution (so it is cheaper to use).

It is quicker to clean lenses.

It cleans better than using fingers.

There is a supplier in this country, catering to the european market. Sorry, but I can not remember the web-site address for LensMedic europe.

I hope I get one for Xmas.

merry Xmas everyone

Freddy

Postby Freddy » Mon 22 Dec 2003 1:09 pm

I have not posted for a while, so hi to everyone. I have also changed my email address as I was getting swamped by spam. I just wanted to say that my mix of a kerasoft and a large rgp is working just great. I am two and a half years post surgery. I had been told not to expect the full effect for two years and it has proved to be correct.

I had a panic just recently when I started getting lots of red eyes but it turns out the soft lens is "getting spotted" - eh? - and the hard one had a tiny chip in the edge of the lens. Me being a blind old bat had noticed neither! Anyway new lenses are ordered so calm has returned.

Happy holidays to you all and best wishes for 2004.

umbilica@umbilical.demon.

Postby umbilica@umbilical.demon. » Mon 22 Dec 2003 2:34 pm

Sajeev said:
Just wanted to know if anyone has used/or is using
any ultrasonic contact lens cleaner machines, to clean there
contact lenses. Cheak out http://www.nowmedic.com and click on the
english icon. (the size of yhe baskets may be a problem !)
Anyone have any ideas !

Nope!

I clean mine with Fairy Liquid, and have been doing for donkey's years. I'm not going to change now - particularly not to
something that costs money and involves any more hassle.

The fairy liquid has always worked fine - I've only ever had two eye infections, and one of those was when I was about 6, in the
aftermath of the measles.

Rosemary

--
Rosemary F. Johnson

sajeev

Postby sajeev » Mon 22 Dec 2003 7:08 pm

Rosemary,
Fairy liquid ? You must be joking ! Is no disinfection done on your lenses ? What made you use fairy liquid ? How many years have you done this ? Why have you not answered my reply to when you accused me of having a finacial interest in INTACTS ? Why are you fear new developments ?

Kindest Regards

Jan Fisher

Postby Jan Fisher » Tue 23 Dec 2003 9:12 am

I too have used fairy liquid in the past to clean my lenses and found it great. You jsut have to make sure it is all off your lens before inserting it into the eye or it makes you yelp. I was told when I got my gas perm lenses that I could not use it any more, is this right?

For anyone out there that has great problem with screwing up your face to see ( I could win a gurnimg competition) I may just have the answer. It sounds drastic, I know , but my doctor suggested Botox. I tried it a month ago and has found that it works well. The good news it that I can get it on the NHS.

Finally, does anyone have any suggestions on how to explain KC to a five year old. My daugter is having great difficulty understanding why mummy can see some days and not others. I have tried to get literature from the RNIB but they can not suggest anyting. If anyone out there has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thanks, Jan

azusa

Postby azusa » Wed 24 Dec 2003 1:52 am

Does anybody had success with piggy back or soft perm? I don't really care the cost if it works very well in terms of wearing time, comfort, and visual acuity. I am wearing RGP, but it is absolutely intolerable and uncomfortable.... I cannot wear it more than 2 hours. I absolutely hate it.

Jan Fisher

Postby Jan Fisher » Wed 24 Dec 2003 4:16 am

to Andrew: I was told years ago by my contact lens practitioner to use fairy liquid, but that was before I moved onto GP. It was cheap and my lenses never "clogged up".

to Azusa: I have been wearing piggy back now for 2 years or more as I could no longer tolerate just RGP. They have been a great help until recently, but now I can not tolerate these either.

Jan Fisher

Postby Jan Fisher » Wed 24 Dec 2003 4:19 am

To Rosemary: I have used an untrasonic cleaner and found it to be reasonably helpfull. I do get a very bad build up of protein on my lenses. I got my cleaner from the Argos cataloge, in the jewellry section. It is a lot cheaper than the commercial models out there and I am assured by someone who uses the commercial models that it would be just as effective.

Roger Gibbens

Postby Roger Gibbens » Wed 24 Dec 2003 10:19 am

HELPPPPPPPPP I think I have got both of my hard gas permeable lenses stuck together! I thought I had put them in recently (at home) and then found one was missing! I couldn't find it anywhere. Later I realised that the lens in the other eye was not comfortable over long periods, although the spare is fine.
I've compared the possible double lens with others and it appears to have a richer blue colour although I cannot see any difference in thickness.
Is there a way of getting them apart without damaging them?
I'm due to go away on 8/1 and have been told new lenses won't be back in time as they take 3 weeks. Thanks

Return to “General Discussion Forum”