Quicktopic posts: Oct 2003

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Jane W

Postby Jane W » Wed 15 Oct 2003 7:43 am

Haven't visited the site since June when I was diagnosed with a hydrops in my right eye. Now my corneal graft is looming - next Tuesday and I'm really scared. When I went for my pre-operation assessment a few weeks ago, I just burst into tears. I've been keeping really busy at work so I haven't had much time to dwell on it but I know I will be like jelly on Tuesday. I can't think of a rational reason why but I think it's because I've never had an operation before. At least I am assured it is a general so I will be asleep. I am worrying about the anaesthetic, the op itself and the after effects. I can cope with discomfort and some pain but I fear rejection of the cornea more than anything. I also have this enormous fear of needles coming anywhere near my eye, so if anyone can reassure me that I won't be seeing any needles coming towards me, it would be appreciated. You wouldn't believe I am a grown woman......

Andrew Thomas MacLean

Postby Andrew Thomas MacLean » Wed 15 Oct 2003 8:03 am

Dear Jane W

I can believe that you are a grown woman. I'm a 53 year old man with my graft op looming on Dec 5 and I have all the fears you describe and lots more besides. The one thing that encourages me is that so many postings on this site are from folk who have had their graft, sometimes in each eye, and who post such positive messages about it.

You will be in my thoughts as you go into siurgery on Tuesday. Every good wish.

Andrew
----------
>From: QT - Jane W <qtopic+6-A46Jzt4sJAXLTWnJNHsx@quicktopic.com>
>To: QT topic subscribers <qtopic+subs@quicktopic.com>
>Subject: Keratoconus
>Date: Wed, Oct 15, 2003, 12:43 pm
>

< replied-to message removed by QT >

Robert Smith

Postby Robert Smith » Wed 15 Oct 2003 10:20 am

I have not posted for quite a while now but always keep an eye (oops!) on what is going on. I had a graft in January 2002 and the message from Jane W could have been written by me before I went in for surgery. Never been in hospital before - total dread of anything near my eyes - fear of rejection - the lot. All I can say is that the op itself is a piece of cake - one moment you are awake and alert, the next waking up in recovery - so no needles. What I found though was that the first 48 hours after was pretty horrid - it hurt and was uncomfortable but not unbearable - the nursing staff gave me morphine the first night and after that it was OK. Since then I have, as yet, had no problems whatsoever. Sight is very good indeed with glasses - I am completely lens intolerant and will not contemplate them at all. Some irritation every now and again but nothing awful - the sort that is easy to cope with. I was last in for a check up in April and am not going back till next April. Also I find tht night driving which I used to find pretty awful due to the flares around lights is much easier now

Now I know we are all different and I am very lucky but I am very positive about grafts and would say that it can be the right way forward for some of us.

If Jane W wants to contact me for a chat about it please let me know and I will give you contact details.

All the best

Robert

Paul

Postby Paul » Wed 15 Oct 2003 10:40 am

FAO
Ken Pullum
Ken i would like to thank you for your time and help last week it was much appricated.Since my visit to you have a returned to wearing my GP lenses in both eyes i am trying to get used to the GP in the right eye instead of the soft lens.Once again many thanks for your time.

Nazier Nagdee

Postby Nazier Nagdee » Wed 15 Oct 2003 12:09 pm

It's been a long since I last posted to this DG, so while trying to describe KC to my work colleagues google reminded of this site.

I had a corneal graft in my left eye 3 years ago at Manchester’s Royal Eye Hospital. I have been a patient at the MRI for around 8 years after I finally decided that I was not getting the correct advice and care from my Optician.

The final stitch was removed in January this year, at the time of the procedure I was really anxious and afraid but all my fears were put to rest by the good people at the hospital. The procedure required an inpatient stay on one night. After the op the pain was mostly irritant and a desire to rub the eyes, I also had really bad headaches but these were soothed by painkillers. I followed the strict cleansing procedures rigidly and kept away from doing any lifting or sharp movements.

After about 2 weeks the redness started to clear up and I could really start seeing the benefit my vision was much improved but still suffered from astigmatism, this was due to the stitches.
The astigmatism cleared gradually at every appointment I had where a stitch (or two) were removed.
I still have some astigmatism in the eye but the overall vision is great, I don’t wear contact lenses or glasses and rely on my ‘new’ eye for everything, my right is badly affected and I have been going without a lens in this eye for over a year. The only time I require the lens is for night-time driving.

At my last check up I was advised on a laser surgery procedure which could help the astigmatism, I got a call the other day asking me attend for exploratory tests this Friday and a operation next Thursday!

I will report back on how I get on

Naz

Helen Newham

Postby Helen Newham » Wed 15 Oct 2003 7:13 pm

Havent written for a while cos was ok, but still read daily messages.Just got back from eye casualty Nottm QMC Uni Hosp. Left eye graft is rejecting again, back on Antibiotics and extra steroids, and to return to hosp Fri morn, Hope we can stop it again but this is the 4th time , and am getting a little worried , what happens if they cannot halt the rejection? Any suggestions to help the recovery etc would be greatly appreciated,
Love Helen

Brian Taylor

Postby Brian Taylor » Thu 16 Oct 2003 2:23 am

Jane

I understand your fears but can assure you they are unfounded. I have had 4 grafts since 1975 the last two in 1996 there were no needles put in my eye that I know off certainly not after the op. The op is quite quick 15 to 20 mins and just a head ache after with the eye feeling sensitive. I was in and out of hospital within 24 hrs and walked out without even an eye patch on. Yes you will have discomfort from the eye for a week or so put its no problem and you just have to take things easy for a few weeks to allow things to heal.
Two bits of advice

Follow doctors instructions exactly.

If you feel any unusual symptoms or the eye goes blood shot or sore don't keep quite phone the hospital or doctor ASAP they can check things out in 10 mins so its not worth the worry.

You are going to look back on it in years to come and be so pleased you went through with it.

Good luck

Brian

Debbie

Postby Debbie » Fri 17 Oct 2003 4:46 pm

I have a 23 year old son who has KC in both eyes with hydrops in both eyes he also has a learning disabilities ,right we do not kown how long he has had KC the frist we new about it was when the right eye hydrop about 3 years ago now in the last 3 years it has hydrop 4 times, very bad scarring in the right eye. the left eye hydrop about 6 months ago this was very severe he can not see out of the left eye, we was at sidcup hospital but now we go to moorfield this is where we found out that it was KC untill then we did not kown what was going on with his eyes.We have been told that he can not have a graft as in the right eye the corneal is to thin and the left eye the blood vessel have gone into the corneal.

Brian Taylor

Postby Brian Taylor » Sat 18 Oct 2003 3:13 am

Hi Helen

I to have had rejection in my left eye 6 years after the graft. I've had 4 graft to date 2 in mid 1970s and when the no of live cells on these died to a low level (this also happens in rejection) I had 2 more in 1996. Rejection is bad luck my doc tells me its just chance. My
rejection episode used up a lot of the grafts live cells and the doc says it will not last a year but he wont repeat the graft until the last minute because the vision is reasonable. Do you get cloudy vision in the mornings and rainbows around bright lights as well as a swelling feeling in the rejecting eye these are symptoms I had.
My only advice is follow the docs instructions to the LETTER and if you feel any changes get back to the hospital immediately don't wait 12 hours cells die rapidly during rejection.
If the rejection wont stop I imagine they will graft you again, but my doc was adamant that he could halt the rejection the worry was how many live cells would I loose.
I know of one lady who had 4 grafts in quick succession due to constant rejection but no 4 is staying good so don't loose heart, mows your other eye do you manage to see well out of your right?

Good luck and next time you go to the hospital write down your questions so you get answers while your there I find this works well and they are happy to answer and tell you the facts if you ask.

Brian

< replied-to message removed by QT >

Debbie

Postby Debbie » Sat 18 Oct 2003 4:18 am

Can any one tell me what is the best lighting we can use as we live in the dark, as the house lights hurts my son eyes.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”