Quicktopic posts: Oct 2003

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Mandy

Postby Mandy » Wed 01 Oct 2003 6:15 pm

Hi there, just found this discussion group. Was just wondering how do you cope with increased intolerance to glare, I'm increasingly having problems driving at night and with the nights drawing in and a 35 mile drive home from work am getting increasingly worried. Thanks for any advice.

aimee.wilkes@bt.com

Postby aimee.wilkes@bt.com » Wed 01 Oct 2003 6:15 pm

I will not be accessing my email until 26/09/03, for urgent matters please contact the service centre on 0800 154 234
Regards, Aimee.

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Thu 02 Oct 2003 3:50 am

Hello Mandy,

Sorry to say this, but a lot of us seem to cope with glare by not driving in the dark. Certainly for me, that was the "last straw" that got me seriously considering a graft. Now that I've had one, things are a LOT better. I will only drive though when wearing the scleral lens in the non-grafted eye. Every little helps!

Best of luck,
John

gemstone@umbilical.demon.

Postby gemstone@umbilical.demon. » Thu 02 Oct 2003 2:31 pm

A thought.

Not so long ago, I went up to Pimlico to be a "guinea pig" for
the study into KC and eye shapes - I think several other people
here have done it too.

One thing I remember seeing there was a computer-generated of
image of what vision looks like with KC - ie. so a
"normally-sighted" person could see the world as we see it.
(Actually, it also seemed to be able to be adjusted for various
types of contact lens correction, to show "how this person with
KC will see with that contact lens".)

I wonder if it would be possible for the KC group to arrange
with the researchers to be able to use some of these images and
make a leaflet or poster of "the world as we see it" - eg. in
triples, of "what you see", "what I see with my contacts", "what I see without the contacts". I'd love to be able to show my
friends, colleagues, etc what the world looks like to me - and
I'm sure it could be very useful for people to have to show to
their employers, colleges/schools/unis, etc.

It would be even more useful if the software could show the
effect (I don't know if it can) on "everyday objects" - eg. the
microwave control panel, sans contacts, when trying to cook
one's breakfast, or a station name board, or writing on a white
board or flip chart (try "EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION" on a flip
chart).

Rosemary

--
Rosemary F. Johnson

Michelle Ryan

Postby Michelle Ryan » Thu 02 Oct 2003 4:25 pm

Hi,
I dont post on here very often but I do always read all the posts.
I am after some information if anybody could help me
I work on computers all day and my eyes get very tired and somtimes sore, do the flat screens actually help this or does it no make much difference?
Your help would be much appreciated

David Newman

Postby David Newman » Thu 02 Oct 2003 4:54 pm

I have certainly found flat screens to be a lot easier on my eyes. On my od screen i have migraines 3 out of 5 nights and perhaps only 1 out of 5 with the flat screen. In the last year i have managed to wear contacts (piggy backing) and I can now go months without a serious migraine - seeing certainly helps.

Mandy

Postby Mandy » Thu 02 Oct 2003 6:08 pm

Hi John

Thanks for the reply, looks like it's a case of 'grin and bear' it for as long as I can...glad to hear things have improved for you. Take care,

Mandy

Andrew Bosanquet

Postby Andrew Bosanquet » Fri 03 Oct 2003 4:30 am

Rosemary said
> I wonder if it would be possible for the KC group to arrange with the researchers to be able to use some of these images and make a leaflet or poster of "the world as we see it"

I was also a guinea pig for this one (and very good it was too).
I agree. This would be a great idea. Perhaps add it to the leaflet for schools and colleges?
What about adding ‘What I could see with glasses’ so that we could also show people that glasses do not correct very much.

Andrew

Andrew Bosanquet

Postby Andrew Bosanquet » Fri 03 Oct 2003 4:37 am

Michelle said:
>I work on computers all day and my eyes get very tired

At home, and because of my KC, we have recently bought a television that has twice the ‘refresh rate’ (I think that was what they called it). It refreshes the picture 100 times a second rather than 50. The picture is far more stable and you cannot see it flickering out of the corner of your eyes.

Does anyone know if these are available for computer screens? Do they/would they make any difference?

Andrew

SueB - Hertfordshire

Postby SueB - Hertfordshire » Fri 03 Oct 2003 6:20 am

Rosemary suggested that a guide be 'published' showing what we see v's what others see, using the computer technology and information collected during the research study earlier this year that several of us with KC were volunteers for. Andrew has supported this and further suggested that it should include the vision (or lack of) provided with glasses.

I think these are excellent suggestions and would love to be able to show such a publication to colleagues who do not seem able to understand how limited our vision is without contact lenses. Is there enough support for such a publication amongst us? Would anyone be able or prepared to take this up with the researchers? My free time is very limited but I would be prepared to help out.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”