Quicktopic posts: Oct 2002

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

gemstone@umbilical.demon.

Postby gemstone@umbilical.demon. » Tue 01 Oct 2002 8:56 am

Louise wrote:
Hi all. Is the 'Steripod Blue'saline which I now understand is
available on prescription used for rinsing lens?

What I use saline for - I'm still on Amidose - is to fill up my
RGP sclerals with before I put them in. That is, I hold the
lens with "point" downwards and the hollow full of saline. I
then have to put the lens in while pointing my face down into
the kitchen sink...! This is supposed to make the lenses go in
without air bubbles underneath. In fact I've been putting my
scleral lenses in like this since vry soon after I first got
them, originally using K-Lens (any other old K-Lens fans here??) before it was discontinued, then saline, because it seemed to
make them settle more comfortably.

So far I've
been buying Boot's own brand of aerosol saline as it worked out cheaper than saline from Moorfields which we can only get on a
script when attending for an appointment.

I think the idea of using something like Steripod Blue or
Amidose is that it is easier to get a lens
full-up-like-soup-bowl without getting bubbles in it -
allegedly, it is quite hard to get a lens full up of saline
without getting bubbles in it from an aerosol can, and bubbles
defeat th object of using the saline to get the lens in without
bubbles under them!

I'm still on Amidose but (like many others, I gather!) don't
like it much as it is not a patch on K-Lens! I used to have a
friend who worked in a lab who'd make up bottles of isotonic
saline for me and sterilise them in the lab's autoclave - but he doesn't work there any more... I think he made these a slightly different "strength" from Amidose and it was more confortable -
I think Amidose is just a little bit *too* salty for me and
inclined to sting a bit...

Incidentally - how long do you folks find that each tube of
Amidose will last? - mine used to last about a week each, but I
seem to be getting through them faster recently - maybe I'm
getting more slapdash in my old age.... or maybe it was
something to do with the Miraflow....? (I've gone back to
boston now - the "spirit"-y smell of the Miroflow was setting
off my asthma.)

Another question:

People who use the saline in tubes/pods which need the tips
cutting off - how do you manage if you go abroad? I mean, with
the rules the airlines now have about not taking scissors, etc,
onto planes? I go off to several meetings/conferences abroad,
and don't want to have to pack a suitcase to check in just so I
can take my Swiss Army knife (nor lug it about at the end, when
I can put the overnight bag stuff partly in my handbag and
partly in the briefcase with my laptop (which has to go hand
baggage if I want it to work again!!)). Besides, what happens
if one is flying long-haul and needs to start doing things to
one's lenses on board, eg. if they dry out in the air
conditioning?? has anyone had any luck trying to let them take
your scissors/knives with you if you have a doctor's letter
saying you have an eye condition...... ? - or do you just snip
the tips off what you hope will be enough to last before you set off?

Has anyone noticed there is going to be a horror film about a
person who has grafts?!! Could this be a KC group outing?!!

Tee hee!

Rosemary

--
Rosemary F. Johnson

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 01 Oct 2002 12:18 pm

Hi Louise (1005), Do you wear rgp corneals or scleral lenses? I have used the Boots saline to rinse my corneal lenses for years and found it excellent. However, when I wear my scleral lenses it is physiological saline that is required as these need to be filled up with the saline and it stays on your eye all day - this saline is not in an aerosol so, as Rosemary says, you do not get any air bubbles under the sclerals, and I think it also does not have any chemicals or preservatives in it which might sting your eyes if the saline is on them all day. Hope this helps.

Do you really mean a 'horror' film of someone who has grafts or a documentary about having a corneal transplant? I have seen one of these on tv about ten years' ago now and it was extremely interesting - it is quite an amazing procedure (done at Moorfields). What is the name of the film and when is it on? Take care. SUE

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 01 Oct 2002 12:24 pm

Hi Rosemary (1006), Well done for the day you walked along the Thames Path - sorry we did not get to meet you. I also travel alot and do what you suggested during the flight, i.e., cut off the tops of a few tubes of Amidose to last me, and keep the scissors in my bag in the hold. Can't help you on the short haul as I always seem to have to take more than carry-on luggage. It is something that I have also wondered about - has anyone else got any ideas? Take care. SUE

Janet Manning

Postby Janet Manning » Tue 01 Oct 2002 3:44 pm

Hi everyone,
With regard to scissorsand flying - having not flown in the last year until June, I completely forgot about the scissors and knives thing and took my usual bag of eye goodies in my hand luggage. When I saw the signs my heart sank! I owned up and explained, but they still nicked my scissors. I offered to allow cabin crew to mind them, but to no avail. So I made a huge fuss about cutting off the tops of several Amidose tubes just to show them!!! I think the only solution is to always have luggage in the hold. I have visions of huge suitcases containing one pair of nail scissors for you people on business trips!!
Happy flying, Janet

sally bonds

Postby sally bonds » Tue 01 Oct 2002 3:59 pm

hi all,am really excited to find this site about others who have kertoconus but,guess wot-noone is chating.Guessyou are all in bed just my luck!nyway when you all wake up i would love a message or,if i am around would like to chat and swap stories. sal

Bob Hillcock

Postby Bob Hillcock » Tue 01 Oct 2002 5:10 pm

Hi Sally (1010)Welcome to the site.I would love to chat hopefully we can get on line at the same time,if not drop me an email anytime.My email is Bob1411@ntlworld.com Iam always checking my mail,so hear from you soon. Bob

ali cooper

Postby ali cooper » Tue 01 Oct 2002 6:14 pm

Could the horror film be 'Minority Report' don't want to give the game away by giving the plot away, but those that have seen the film will understand me coming to this conclusion.

;o) ally

>From: QT - gemstone@umbilical.demon.co.uk (Rosemary F. Johnson)
><qtopic+6-A46Jzt4sJAXLTWnJNHsx@quicktopic.com>
>Reply-To: QT topic <qtopic+6-A46Jzt4sJAXLTWnJNHsx@quicktopic.com>
>To: alicooperuk@hotmail.com
>Subject: Keratoconus
>Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 07:56:25 -0500 (CDT)
>

_________________________________________________________________ Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.
http://www.hotmail.com
< replied-to message removed by QT >

ali cooper

Postby ali cooper » Tue 01 Oct 2002 6:21 pm

Welcome Sally,

I am usually around on msn if you wanted to chat and have that messenger facility. Anyway that goes for anyone else on here too.

ally

>From: QT - sally bonds <qtopic+6-A46Jzt4sJAXLTWnJNHsx@quicktopic.com>
>Reply-To: QT topic <qtopic+6-A46Jzt4sJAXLTWnJNHsx@quicktopic.com>
>To: alicooperuk@hotmail.com
>Subject: Keratoconus
>Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:59:24 -0500 (CDT)
>

_________________________________________________________________ Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com < replied-to message removed by QT >

Louise Pembroke

Postby Louise Pembroke » Tue 01 Oct 2002 6:24 pm

Hi Sue & Rosemary, my lens is RGP so I can stick with Boots aerosol saline, but I see your problem with scissors and flying, perhaps Moorfields should formally approach the airlines and explain the problem.
The film is called "The Eye" and is on now, it's about a woman who receives grafts then supernatural things happen to her like dreams/visions.
Years ago at the eye hospital in Brighton, I sat in outpatients with those joke springy eyes attached to glasses, then informed my doctor that I was having difficulty getting my lens in as my eye wouldn't keep still!
Has anyone had this experience?...again many years ago, after a period of no lens, when they fitted me with a lens in one eye the difference was so magnified that I jumped when I looked at myself as the pores in my skin looked like huge craters for a few days till my brain adjusted to what I was seeing. I wailed at the nurse, "What are these holes?" A few months later, the same nurse was very amused to see exactly the same response in another patient also horrified by the 'holes' in their skin.

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Wed 02 Oct 2002 5:56 am

Hi Louise, Thanks for the name of the film - perhaps we should definitely make it a KC Group outing! Regarding the 'holes' in your face, I had a similar experience when the very first time I put in my corneals lenses at home, I looked out of the window and was amazed to see every single blade of grass and not just a blob of green - what was incredible was that I had not realised how much my sight had deteriorated - your brain definitely gets used to things! Take care. SUE

Return to “General Discussion Forum”