Quicktopic posts: Jul 2002

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

sarah marsh

Postby sarah marsh » Tue 16 Jul 2002 6:14 am

hiya
i have just recieved a date for my transplant today and im alittle scared now .
so please if anyone has some helpful advice again plz email at STARLIGHT7723366@AOL.COM
my date is august 7th for transplant so i would welcome any help thank you all
love sarah

Dhiren Nakrani

Postby Dhiren Nakrani » Tue 16 Jul 2002 8:09 am

Hi Jan
I can say i have had a plug inserted in to my eyelid and i have also inserted a plug into someone's eyelid. It is painless and relatively simple, honestly it seems really serious when u hear about it but its not that bad, in my experience anyway.
This is the Procedure:

Anaesthetise the punctum- so you wont feel anything that happens next. wait 30-60secs

(Dilate using a dilator)Increase the size of the punctum which is a small hole in your lids, it is usually the lower lid punctum which is dilated & plugged.

Insert plug- There r 2 types of plugs, temporary collagen which dissolve in 3-5days, Silicon which dont dissolve but can be pulled out anytime.
Thats its, its over in 2mins! Talk to your optician about the procedure and the different types of plugs.

I hope that helped Dhiren! Feel free to contact me if you require further information! dhiren_nak@hotmail.com
*DEE-LITE*

_________________________________________________________________ Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.
http://www.hotmail.com

Dhiren

Postby Dhiren » Tue 16 Jul 2002 8:28 am

Ohh by the way, thanks SAM its great website. I think il be buying online from now on. http://www.postoptics.co.uk

Jan Fisher

Postby Jan Fisher » Tue 16 Jul 2002 12:01 pm

Hi Dhiren, Ta for the info you have put my mind at rest. I asked my GP and he just gave me a puzzled luck and said "I dont fancy that". Gave ne a lot of confidence that did. Did you find that it helped it any way?

Ta Jan

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Wed 17 Jul 2002 12:27 pm

Dear Jase (796), Sounds like you are experiencing exactly the same thing that I did after having worn corneal rgp lenses for 20 years non-stop! I think my eyes just decided they did not want to do it anymore! Moorfields Eye Hospital in London were very good and tried for over a year to get a corneal lens that was comfortable in my left eye (my good eye) but it just would not happen - I could not keep the lens in for very long without any pain, tons of mucus was being produced which makes it very difficult to wear lenses and life was a nightmare; I ended up with an awful pain in my left eye, could not wear my lens at all and had to have 5 weeks' off work sick.

Finally, it was suggested that I try scleral lenses which fit over your whole eye; there is no contact on the cornea and there are no sharp edges for your eyelids to keep going over every time you blink. This was about 4 years' ago now and I am still wearing them! What happened though, was that after a short while, my eyes could tolerate my corneal lenses again - as long as I don't wear them all day, every day. So, I wear the sclerals for the first half of the day and the corneals for the second half of the day. My eyes seemed to want a rest from corneals after 20 years of overwear. I find that when I wear the sclerals my eyes are also not so sensitive to the light, particularly sunshine.

Perhaps you could ask your optician about scleral lenses, and if he won't help you maybe you can get referred to a hospital that does them; it would definitely be worth a try - if you end up juggling with two pairs of lenses, at least you have a choice and can give your eyes a 'rest'. Where do you live? Moorfields would be the best if you are fairly near to London. Hope the above helps and you can find a solution to your lens problems. Keep us informed of your progress. Take care. SUE

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Wed 17 Jul 2002 12:29 pm

Hi Dhiren (800) and Jan, I am intrigued - what is this plug that you insert into your eye and what is it for? I have never heard of this - please explain ........ SUE

Jeet

Postby Jeet » Wed 17 Jul 2002 12:51 pm

Hi everyone
I had KC in both eyes which was managed for a while with scleral lenses (many thanks to Sir Ken of Pullum for his many late nights at Cayton street (anybody remember that place?!) trying to find a lens that might fit my eye.)
After a while my corneas became heavily scarred and unable to tolerate lenses, so I had grafts in both eyes, and initially the vision was great, but once the stitches were removed, the surrounding tissue around the graft began pushing up the graft, distorting my vision.
I am currently back with Ken trying out new sclerals.
Has anybody else had this type of problem after a graft? I was told it was a very rare occurance.
thanks for reading!
Jeet

Dhiren Nakrani

Postby Dhiren Nakrani » Thu 18 Jul 2002 1:37 pm

Hi Sue,

Punctum Plugs! They are an alternative treatment for Dry eyes. Other methods: Advise- including exercises in blinking, Artificial tears- drops or ointment and Surgery- which is permanent.

The Plugs are inserted into the punctum which is the small hole in the lower lid, this is where some of the tears drain out. The plugs prevents normal drainage, leaving more tears on the surface of the eye and therefore can be used as a treatment for dry eyes. There will still be tear loss from evaporation(happens with all eyes) but there will be a relativley normal level of tears remaining.

As mentioned before there are 2 types:
Silicon- permanent
Collagen- temporary which dissolve in 3-5days, mainly used for diagnosis and prognosis to see if plugs will help.

It is a fairly new, so im not sure if all opticians would fit them but you can always ask about them.

Hope this helps!
Dhiren
*DEE-LITE*

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos:
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Fri 19 Jul 2002 3:58 am

Dhiren, that's great. Thank you so much for your explanation of plugs. SUE

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Fri 19 Jul 2002 4:00 am

Dear Mr Patel (794), Deciding on the best way to go with treating KC can be extremely confusing, can't it? Please email me on sue.ingram@virgin.net and hopefully I can give you some more information on the best way forward for your daughter. Take care. SUE

Return to “General Discussion Forum”