Quicktopic posts: Dec 2001

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

helen williams

Postby helen williams » Sat 01 Dec 2001 9:41 am

I just want to thank you all for the comments re eczema and allergies. The dr has now put me off work for four weeks as i cannot wear my contacts until I go back to hospital on 13th Dec!! He is going to sort some allergy testing out for me, but I think I will try and cut dairy products out before I go to see if this helps - I will do anything!! This site is such a great support to me, as it is quite a difficult time for me with not being able to work, drive, read or even see the TV. I know it will be ok - but it is just the waiting game before I can get my new contacts.

Again thank you all for your supportive comments and solutions to my allergies.

Kate Love

Postby Kate Love » Sun 02 Dec 2001 5:53 am

I am sure that my friends would agree with the link between KC and being talkative!! I am really interested in all the comments about eczema. I don't usually suffer from it unless I am really stressed, and even then not on my face. However over the last couple of weeks my eyelids have been really dry and itchy. I hope it is just the weather etc but I'm not convinced. I shall certainly make a noter of all your recommendations. My main allergy symptoms are sinus related, in particular rhinitis: this was mentioned at the conference in March - anyone else suffer? Is there going to be another conference next year?

Driving - I had the same information from my optometrist aboutinsurance etc as Janet.

See what I mean about being talkative - why use one word when 10 will do!!

freddy

Postby freddy » Sun 02 Dec 2001 9:25 am

Helen

I really sympathise with you frustration as you wait for new contacts! We can be so limited without them. I know we all have our own ways of surviving, but I thought I might offer suggestions. I found that I listened to the radio a great deal - me and Jenny Murray on Radio 4 were "like that"! Also I got to love books on tape. My local library have lots of 10-15 tape stories of all types and I found them great. They cost 88p for three weeks.

Also I found I could use the machines in my gym - as long as no one moved them! I could not see people's faces, but felt safe enough to use it. The advantage of the gym for me was it also filled lots of time - travelling by bus etc -which was not a problem when I could not work.

I am really in a good spell just now, having had months of very limited sight. Immediately after the corneal graft op I found the constraints on my life hard going. I got used to measuring progress in weeks not days. But I can now get decent correction in my operated eye, so it does improve.

Freddy

Kristian

Postby Kristian » Sun 02 Dec 2001 1:20 pm

Hi. Is anybody out there able to tell me how to go about getting my rpg lenses manufactured independently of moorfields. I have had KC treatment at moorfields for about 10 years, and find that sometimes the time it takes to get a lens manufactured by the technicians at moorfields to be a little unreasonable, given the effect that not having the use of the lens has on the quality of my day to day life. I rarely have any complaints about the service, but as a matter of practicality i would rather not have to depend on the manufacturing service if I can get the lens made more urgently else where. Any ideas/ comments? Graet site by the way!

Emma

Postby Emma » Mon 03 Dec 2001 10:32 am

Hi everyone.

I was just wondering how long you can leave RGP lenses in, because I have had no problems since getting them in the summer. Until the past when I have been experiencing a bit of pain in my eyes. They jsut feel really sore and I wa wondering if it could be due to the fact that I wore them for about 18 hours one day about a week ago? Whats the maximum I should be wearing them?

Thanks
emma

Emma

Postby Emma » Mon 03 Dec 2001 10:32 am

Hi everyone.

I was just wondering how long you can leave RGP lenses in, because I have had no problems since getting them in the summer. Until the past week when I have been experiencing a bit of pain in my eyes. They just feel really sore and I was wondering if it could be due to the fact that I wore them for about 18 hours one day about a week ago? Whats the maximum I should be wearing them?

Thanks
emma

Ian Pearson

Postby Ian Pearson » Mon 03 Dec 2001 10:37 am

12 to 14 hours of wear is recommended as max. Also advice I had is to try and remove for an hour during the day to do 2 7 hour shifts max
I have been following that process for 10 years and have a graft in right eye.
I am sure most people would be happy wearing less than that though

Barney

Postby Barney » Mon 03 Dec 2001 11:25 am

Emma, it takes time to build up a tolerance. I've worn lenses for almost 40 years, yes quite a long time, and wear them for a minimum of 17 hours every day without noticing them at all.

It seems to be something that depends on the individual and badly fitting lenses will have an affect too. After wearing them for only a few months, 18 hours is a lot - which is probably why you're suffering for it now. Build the time up slowly, re-wet the lenses often, and avoid dry or dusty environments. Look after your eyes and don't push them too hard too soon.

gilliangruder

Postby gilliangruder » Mon 03 Dec 2001 1:13 pm

I worry about passing my sight test re driving. I am hoping my sight hasn't got any worse than one year ago and I can still drive I constantly read numberplates which drives me and everyone I am with mad.

Astigle@aol.com

Postby Astigle@aol.com » Mon 03 Dec 2001 1:49 pm

Dear Sue (Ingram) I have an app. with Ken on 12th Dec at 10.30 , so we may see each other before Christmas after all ! look foward to catching up with news then.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”