Keratoconus question

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

shoebp12
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Keratoconus question

Postby shoebp12 » Tue 15 Oct 2013 5:46 pm

Hi everyone, iv had k/t for about 7/8 years, i tried rpg lenses around 4 years back they had a bad reaction for me and never gave me better vision. so for the past 4 years ive been wearing glasses and being going to the hospital and they say the k/t is stable. my query is i don't want to wear glasses anymore, i asked about normal contact lenses but the optician said theyre pointless for me. The NHs are not doing much, painwise its ok night time driving bit of glare, visions pretty spoton with glasses but the hassle of wearing glasses is annoying. im thinking of going abroad to see what options are but has anyone got any advise, what are the alternatives Thanks

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Keratoconus question

Postby Grant » Wed 16 Oct 2013 11:44 am

Hi - can you see clearly enough with glasses? Is it for appearance purposes that you no longer wish to wear them or is it the case that your vision is not good 'enough' with glasses?

When I reached the stage of not being able to see well enough with glasses 3 years ago the NHS were very helpful in finding a solution that worked for me - started on RGPs but when I couldn't cope with them they offered (after some badgering from me) Kerasofts which were great.

3 years later I've gone back to RGPs as the vision with softs had deteriorated - day 5 so far and slowly getting to grips with the gritty eye feeling.

shoebp12
Contributor
Contributor

Postby shoebp12 » Thu 17 Oct 2013 4:17 pm

hi guys yes its more appearance and at the moment im dealing with the glasses. ive just had enough of glasses so looking at different options kerasoft, scleral lens, crosslinking i was just wondering do some of these operations take out the need for glasses.

Thanks

Lbradley
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Lbradley » Sat 19 Oct 2013 8:14 pm

Hi

RGPs take perserverance, but I'm sure you will get use to them eventualy. I remember having to build up a tolerance to them slowly. For a lot of KC sufferers glasses have never been an option.
I wish you the best of luck.

shoebp12
Contributor
Contributor

Postby shoebp12 » Wed 23 Oct 2013 2:49 pm

hi guys has anyone been abroad to sort out their k/c doesnt seem like the nhs really care too much here. how are kerasofts are they good do they help any advice will be welcome thanks

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Grant » Wed 23 Oct 2013 4:32 pm

I found Kerasofts excellent - as someone who hated RGPs at first, Kerasofts were very comfortable and the vision (in comparison to glasses) was excellent.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”