Quicktopic posts: May 2001

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 01 May 2001 6:13 am

Hi Kate,

I have been swimming for years with my lenses in - both RGP corneals and sclerals. I used to take my lenses out but then my sight became too bad so I tried using goggles but found that they just steamed up all the time. So, in the end, I just gave it a go without the goggles and have been fortunate enough not to lose a corneal, even with diving! With the sclerals, it is not a problem as they do not fall out. I am also lucky in that the chlorine does not seem to affect my eyes. As always, with KC, give things a try and see what happens. However, I would suggest that the best way is probably with goggles if you can get on with these OK.

By the way, will you be going to the picnic on 20 May? - hopefully we will be - it would be good to see you again and have a bit more time for a chat. Also, how are things going with the piggy-backing? SUE

Peter Morley

Postby Peter Morley » Wed 02 May 2001 4:59 am

I am new to the site and the Group. I have KC in both advanced in L slight in R. and have daily troubles with GP's. I see lots of detail about Sclerals and previously thought this was a 'last resort' lens. Has anyone any experience of simply asking to be fitted with sclerals if they appear so well fitting?

Jamie Fielden

Postby Jamie Fielden » Wed 02 May 2001 1:26 pm

I have just moved to the Leeds area, a long way from Insitute of Optometry where I used to go for lens fittings & check-ups. Does anybody know a optometrist in the area who is experienced, or at least comfortable, in dealing with KC?

June

Postby June » Wed 02 May 2001 1:39 pm

Peter, I had sclerals for a number of reasons the main one being recurrent erosion syndrome, my corneal lens fitted ok but every now and then the eye would dry out and a small area on the cornea would flip pff (yes it was as painful as it sounds!) so Ken thought sclearals may help by keeping saline on the eye and the lens away - it did! Every ones different but all things are worth considering.

Peter Morley

Postby Peter Morley » Thu 03 May 2001 12:41 pm

Thanks June.

Yes I have scars on the L eye and the Optho keeps pushing me to rest from RGP's but my vision is so poor without I throw the dummy out of the cot pretty quickly.

I will ask about sclerals at my next appointment. Mind you I'm never too sure my Hospital Optho has seen many cases of KC nor had that many to deal with. Thanks for the input

To anyone reading, I am sure that knowing at least someone else with KC is a help, especially when worse / more advanced say than yourself. Prior to seeing this site and the group I only ever knew of one other person with KC

Whiteduck

Postby Whiteduck » Thu 03 May 2001 4:36 pm

Anyone in the Kent area been to David Or opticians in Sidcup or Welling ?

He seems to be knowledgeable in KC lens fitting.

Worth a look - http://www.davidor.co.uk

Regards
Ian

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Thu 03 May 2001 4:48 pm

Hi Phil (78)
My next Moorfields isn't until mid-June. Have you tried again for evening relieve with glasses ?

Roger Jarvis

Postby Roger Jarvis » Thu 03 May 2001 5:36 pm

Hello
I am new to the site, I have had KC since I was 17, about 29 years.
I have never met anyone else with KC yet appart from at Moorfields.
My left eye is very severe, but not too much of a problem with the right eye. I wear RGP's approx. 17 Hours a day, and am constantly being told by Moorfields to rest my eyes by taking out my lenses in the evening, but without them I am blind. I have considered on occasions trying glasses for some vision, but like most things, have never got around to it. i would like to talk to other sufferers, my E mail address is roger@jarvis14.fsnet.co.uk.

Peter Morley

Postby Peter Morley » Fri 04 May 2001 5:21 am

Hi Roger

Your's sounds similar to me - left bad though right fairly ok. My Hospital Optho tells me to rest too, but sight not good enough. I'm trying specs this week or next, they won't be good enough to drive or be out, but should give my eyes a rest at night. We've a puppy in the house and my wife's a baby on the way too, so just being able to pop something on in the night rather than stumbling around the bedroom will be a help.

By the way, I noted your e-mail address, but I personally think KC sufferers should chat on here, I've learned a lot from other peoples natterings

All the best

Tony Stigle

Postby Tony Stigle » Fri 04 May 2001 12:08 pm

Hi Folks....
The site was down today ( Friday from 10.40 to 17.00)
Sorry about that.. My service provider lost 1/2 of all sites... Just thought I let you know in case you were trying to get on.. We can get to 30 hits a day now!
I have found a live chat area that will be on line soon..
( This week end I hope).. so we will all be able to chat on line! The most common time that the site is visted is Wednesdays 5.pm to 7.pm.. but you chat to anyone any time..
Regards to all.. have a good weekend & don't forget the picnic.... ( drop me line if your coming & then I can get excited!... Tony

Return to “General Discussion Forum”