Quicktopic posts: Apr 2001

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Ian Pearson

Postby Ian Pearson » Fri 27 Apr 2001 6:52 am

Freddy I had a Graft at Moorfields in 1990. Miss Ficker did the op while I was under Mr Rice. I asked about the donor and the best I got was they may pass on a message to relations about the op, but I could have no details. I don't know if policy has changed my next visit is June 20th
I will ask again and see anyone who is their that day

Kate Love

Postby Kate Love » Fri 27 Apr 2001 12:43 pm

Hi Robert
I tend to agree with Sue, it really is worth trying scleral lenses. I too suffered greatly with corneal lenses and was rather reluctant about trying sclerals. However, I find them incredibly comfortable, and wear them for 16+ hours a day = I often forget that i have got them in! Ken Pullum is definitely the man to see!

While on the topic of sclerals, what do people do about swimming - lenses in or lenses out?

Mike Oliver

Postby Mike Oliver » Fri 27 Apr 2001 7:15 pm

Dear Robert,
I go along with a lot of what Sue has said. I have worn sclerals for about 36 years and so far avoided grafts. The important thing is to be aware of what the realistic options are for you. KC is not a condition you can generalise about since almos everyone is at a different stage and its development is unpredictable.I have been told 4 times in the last 20 years I need a graft but each time the optometrists have foun a way round it. But if there are no other options then agraft may be t

Alex

Postby Alex » Sat 28 Apr 2001 5:39 pm

And of course don't forget that their are now different surgical options offered by different hospitals!

June

Postby June » Sun 29 Apr 2001 1:28 pm

Sclerals, I wouldn't be without mine now, I swim with the scleral in and the one time i forgot my goggles the lens stayed put! But the chlorine so badly affected my eyes they were sore for ages - so I would sugest lens in goggles on! But the vision is great. Cleaning the scleral is easy though they can break, thats hundreds of pieces and then waiting for a new one, though at a price you can have a spare made. There is a nack to putting them in but 95% of the time i get it in first attempt. Anyone going to see Ken on 14th may am?
Steve, do you fancy meeting up?

Lawrence Freeman

Postby Lawrence Freeman » Mon 30 Apr 2001 7:01 am

Hi all,
This is the first time I have seen this site and it is very good. Congrats to the people involved.

I have just read everyone's comments on Sclerals. I currently wear RGPs and have KC in both eyes, the right being the worst. I am just outside Newcastle and the hospital here have said that if the new right lens doesn't fit as well (it is quite steep apparently) then they may have to try something else. Sclerals were mentioned.

I have seen these once before and they look massive. I was a little frightened at the though of trying those, even though I was assured that they are very comfortable. After reading the messages from others, it appears that I am quite lucky that my condition is not as bad as some peoples, although it is getting steadily worse in my right eye.

Because of the thought of new lenses being tried, I am wanting to educate myself more and will be regularly reading messages in this forum and those based in the US. If I come across anything that I think is interesting I'll share it with you all, (no promises that I will, of course!!), as I'm sure all of you share information too.

Keep smiling, all of you!!
Lawrence.

Steve

Postby Steve » Mon 30 Apr 2001 4:54 pm

June, sounds a good idea. My email address is;Eldridge@mintridge.freeserve.co.uk. I'm now into my second week of using a scleral on my left eye; my vision seems to have settled down and comfort is excellent,while I can quite easily wear them upto 13 hours a day. At the moment I certainly don't miss rgp's!- So it would be interesting to compare notes.

Tony Stigle

Postby Tony Stigle » Mon 30 Apr 2001 5:55 pm

The Picnic

The new comers to this site may of missed Mandy & my idea of a Picnic..
Now... This in a non organised, non official, turn up type of do.. If you want food bring it.
no registration, absolutely no rules. Just a walk in the park!
Sunday 20th May at Rochester Castle.. (Kent) The grounds of the castle are public.. & small.. so finding us will me easy.. 11.00 by the bandstand.... Tony & Mandy Stigle

Return to “General Discussion Forum”