Declaring keratoconus to the DVLA

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

britdaz
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Re: Declaring keratoconus to the DVLA

Postby britdaz » Thu 23 Jul 2015 5:23 pm

I wear rigid lenses in both eyes to control my KC, for a living I drive a lorry, this may come as a shock, but I work permanent nights.
At the age of 45 lgv drivers have to take a medical, my doctor declared my KC on the form and my licence was renewed with 01 restriction which is glasses or lenses must be worn.
I have recently had my medical at the tender age of 50, again the doctor declared my KC and to date my licence is now a week over due. Bit of a worry
I passed the eye test with ease wearing my lenses which I think is what the DVLA are looking for, not what your vision is like without.

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby CrippsCorner » Fri 24 Jul 2015 5:39 pm

That's great to hear you manage so well with RGP's! Personally I found driving with them at night was a horrendous experience... definitely not safe for me. Been about a year now since I've driven at night :|

britdaz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby britdaz » Fri 24 Jul 2015 7:22 pm

Ive been reading the forum and scratching my head.
Many many years ago at night the light from the lamp posts were all joined together by a light string.

I thought that my rgp prescrition must be wrong, so I complained at my next eye exam and we went through loads and loads of test lenses, I can still remember the crunch under the optomotrists feet, as I said on the other thread a prism was introduced in my right eye with vast improvements to almost normal night vision.

I go to St James Hospital Leeds the eye department.

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Sat 25 Jul 2015 11:18 am

The easiest way to explain how I saw lights with RGP's was like driving in Star Wars light speed! Even when I wasn't going quite as fast; very scary...

britdaz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby britdaz » Sat 25 Jul 2015 3:13 pm

I have had a lesser sort of experiance, headlights looked a little like the Star of Bethlehem, but it didnt effect my driving, maybe you should look at the fit of the lenses.

Im on holiday at the moment on a caravan site in Cornwall, I was wandering about last night looking at the lights in the electrical bollards just to see what effect there was, I have to say not much with my lenses in but I get the halo effect without. Looking at the moon without my lenses I see one bright moon, then a number of lesser bright moons forming a circle.

Regarding the DVLA I phoned them yesterday and was told my application had been passed to the medical board and get this, they have a 5 week back log! Wish I had never said anything now, I could end up being suspended from work without pay for several weeks until the DVLA are satisfied. My workplace refuse to accept the 1988 act allowing me to drive whilst my licence is being processed. Im hoping my legal insurance will cover a workplace claim.

Oh well all part of having KC :roll:

britdaz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby britdaz » Thu 30 Jul 2015 8:51 pm

Yippeee licence came back today, no extra tests required.

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Grant » Wed 05 Aug 2015 10:08 am

Good news! Bet that's a relief.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”